Monday, May 12, 2008

A VERY Special Lifetime Movie

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080511/ap_on_re_us/morehouse_s_unique_man;_ylt=AjIiMLT4yDRUwwBgDzGOg55vzwcF

Okay, with the way the term gets thrown around, this may sound derogatory. Or condescending. I don't mean it in that way in any way shape or form. This story would make the BEST Lifetime movie ever. Seriously. I would get excited, and put it in my calendar. And then pop popcorn, get into my jammies and be on my couch with a glass of wine at least five minutes ahead so that I wouldn't miss a second. This would be appointment TV.

I used to do that a lot on a Sunday night. There used to be Hallmark Hall of Fame movies. Or the big mini-series (North & South, The Stand, any trashy thing from Danielle Steele) that would start on Sunday. I always looked forward to them. And would make my little plans. When I was a teenager, before the popcorn and chardonnay, it was Coke and French onion dip. And I'd bargain with my family to make sure I had unobstructed access to the TV. And woe betide anyone who'd try to watch Sunday night football when I'm trying to watch V.

And basically, this Pavlovian reaction is because of years of pre-conditioning. All the good specials were on Sunday night when I was a kid. The Disney Sunday movie and all the animated specials like Riki Tiki Tavi and the Hobbit. And if anything, the seeds of event TV were sewn by the After School Special. How would I know anything about the real world (anorexia, date rape, leukemia, interracial dating, teen pregnancy, addiction to prescription medicine) if it weren't the After School Special? Really, the entire Lifetime network is After School Specials for women who never grew out of them.

And the story of this student would make the best Movie Event. It's got all the elements. Racial tension. An over achieving young person learning life lessons. A kindly mentor who will dole out advice. Uplifting ending. Well, it's got everything except for one tiny point. It's about a dude. Dang it. Kind of goes against the television for women thing. But I really think an exception could be made here. I mean, they did it for Too Young To Be A Father (although that one was more about his mother).

And, like I said, I don't mean this condescendingly. I just think this would be an excellent Lifetime movie. I want to see him being recruited. His first day. His plucky roommate. His struggle for understanding and acceptance. And the really cute guy they'd get to play him. Oh, my god. I just so want to see this. Lifetime, do it for me. If not you, then who? Spike TV? I think not. Please, please, please. I have the popcorn and wine ready to go.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day