Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Call the HazMat team

So I'm walking into the bathroom. I see someone coming towards me. I prepare my usual vague, polite, yet non-conversation starting smile. She walks straight from the interior door to the exterior door. Without breaking stride. No hesitation. No apparent contemplation of the act. To clarify, I mean she completely bypassed the sinks. Sailed right by.

Uh, whaaaaa? Even if you went in to get a tissue to blow your nose. Or went in to practice our scales in the really groovy bathroom acoustics. Even if you have hand-sanitizer at your desk that you plan to use. You should at least make a token attempt to wash. A bare moment fanning your hands in the general vicinity of the faucet. If you went to the bathroom to do what god and Mr. Crapper intended, then it's not optional. Soap. Water. Plenty of it.

It's the not breaking stride that is flipping me out. The blatant disregard for sanitary standards. The fact that she must have missed that day in pre-school (splishy-splashy-sploshy, give your hands a washy) is evident. But the fact that over the years (many) she has completely avoided the force of peer pressure. And will walk past the sinks under the very eyes of another human being. The very, very appalled eyes. I would have less trouble with this if she'd even stood there in front of the sinks and made some show of putting thought into "hmmm, how clean are my hands? hmmmm. hmmm. hmmm. Naahhh." Or even tried to avoid my eyes, head ducked in unhygenic shame. Some acknowledgment that this is a step that she was skipping. Nope. That caisson kept rolling along. Fooo-wah.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day