Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Scaring the Dickens out of me

So, I’ve done a few shows of A Christmas Carol over at the Performing Arts Center this holiday season. It’s a tradition. And like many other activities that people enjoy but I don’t really “get” (watching Survivor, marshmallows on sweet potatoes (why?), church), I take it with a dose of “I’m happy that you’re happy.” And really, it’s the audiences that make ACC. It puts the jolly in their holly and the jingle in their kringle. Some shows you have some people who are really grouchy about being dragged to the theater. With the Carol, you almost never see a grinchy face.

The more I see that show though, the more I’m convinced I would make a lousy Scrooge. Not that I have all that much to repent for. But if I did - ghosts? Really? That’s what’s supposed to make me regret my wicked ways? What are you going to do? Howl at me? Bring it, spooky. Doesn’t work when my 5-year old nephew tries it either. Then you make me review my past mistakes? In detail? I call that a Tuesday night. What’s your big guns? Death. Yeah, I’m shaking. We all gotta go sometime, bubba. Turning all nicey-nicey ain't gonna stop that train.

Luckily for us all, my wicked ways in no way hinder my Christmas spirit. In point of fact, some of my wicked ways are Christmas spirits (mulled wine, anyone?). I feel for ol’ Scrooge. I’ve been in a holiday funk a time or two. But there’s not a darned thing anyone else can do about it when it happens. You get yourself out of the slough and into the spirit. Though mulled wine can help.

6 comments:

glorm said...

Wine makes a good XMas spirit.

Did you sign up to do the Performing Arts Center for next year also?

FirePhrase said...

I did! I've got my January schedule already. Check this out: Hal Holbrook, LORETTA LYNN and Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Yes! Fuh-reaking out. Oh, and a little company you may have heard of - American Ballet Theater. And a new musical based on Giant. 2012 is looking gooood.

glorm said...

Wow. I'm impressed.

So Hal Holbrook is still performing. Years ago we went to see him do Mark Twain. Because we were in the balcony and could hear only half of what he said, we left during the intermission. We felt bad about that, but he wasn't projecting and we missed out on a lot of it.

FirePhrase said...

Yep, he's still doing Mark Twain. The Winspear has killer sound, so hopefully there won't be any issues with hearing him. Of course, I think of him as Mr. Dixie Carter. The Twain thing is just icing.

WashingtonGardener said...

that ghost of Xmas future is enough to scare me straight for sure - silent, glowering disapproval *harsh*

FirePhrase said...

The Dallas Theater Center's Xmas Future is pretty spooky. He's wearing these Fred Munster platform boots so he's really imposing tall. And my favorite touch is that his walking staff is a giant calligraphy pen. I loves me a good metaphor.

TIME: Quotes of the Day