Friday, December 16, 2011

Broccoli and Cupcakes

I have a friend who is completely unreliable on the quality of desserts. If she says the cupcake is just okay – I pay her no attention. She knows not of what she speaks. She is actually a person who when offered the choice between a bowl of broccoli and a red velvet whoopee pie, she’d pick the broccoli. No lie. Frankly, I start to suspect that she damaged her taste buds in a freak Fudgesicle accident as a child.

The funny thing is that she still wants to make things like cookies and cakes, because she knows other people like them. But she’ll be watching you to see what your reaction is, because she just can’t tell if what she made is any good or not. Now on the other side of the coin, if I want to make a dessert that she enjoys, it’s pretty easy. Lowball the sugar, and it’s virtually impossible to over-spice. If the cookie recipe calls for ¼ teaspoon of clove, double it and throw in some ginger too. Cayenne doesn’t hurt either.

And I get it. I’m no judge of vegetables, really. You’ll never hear me say, “man, those are some really good green beans.” One, because I wouldn’t know. Two, because somebody might offer me more. Shudder.

On the other hand, she could live quite healthily not ever having another cupcake in her entire life. There is no Recommended Daily Allowance for dessert (no matter how many letters I write to the FDA). Vegetables, however, are pretty much a must. I’m doing pretty well on my mission to up my vegetable consumption. I’m averaging 4.5 a day. Not my 5-a-day goal. But better than most Americans. And I can acknowledge that I do actually feel healthier. I think if I stick with it another year that it will actually be a habit. Not a pleasure, but a good habit.

4 comments:

glorm said...

Hopefully she won't make any broccoli cupcakes.

FirePhrase said...

That's why I like ya, Glo. I thought the very same thing.
:)

WashingtonGardener said...

sounds like carrot cake might be right up her alley - truthfuly though it does seem like her palate is damaged and she is missing a whole sphere of taste buds

FirePhrase said...

Check this out! She doesn't like carrot cake or zucchini bread. Though I've been meaning to try a carrot cake recipe that I've got that is actually more carrots than cake. It has like 2 pounds of carrots in it. But really, she even thinks carrots themselves are too sweet. Weirdo.

TIME: Quotes of the Day