Thursday, July 1, 2010

Spies like us

So, the Russian spies. Does anyone get a feeling that this is all just a really, really elaborate marketing campaign for Angelina Jolie’s new movie? Salt is about a possibly deep cover sleeper spy, and it has a very slick advertising campaign. And now all the sudden, there’s a bunch of Russkie spies getting picked up and splashed across the news. Am I wrong? Isn’t the Cold War over? Spies? Really? It’s gotta be a PR stunt, right?

And the more I read, the more I think real spies wouldn’t have been this incompetent. I’d say they’ve been using the Burn Notice “Ask a Spy” webgame as a training video, but honestly Bruce Campbell hands out better tips. For free. Dead drops, fine. It’s a classic. But pre-paid cell phones? My 11-year old niece uses better tricks to pass notes in school. And evidently, Perez Hilton does a better job of intelligence gathering than this bunch. Why would the Russians want to buy this information if they could get the same thing watching TMZ? Lame.

On the other hand, the Salt ad campaign is pretty slick. And slick is the last word I’d use to describe this spy operation. If I was Russia, I’d be denying all knowledge. Not because it was spying. Because it was just so bad. Em-bar-ass-ing.

4 comments:

glorm said...

Russian spies? That's just so 20th century.

FirePhrase said...

Isn't it? Russia has just been acting weird for awhile now. Like they think it's 1970 or something. Lots of posturing and bare chest beating. Soooo not impressive. Next thing you know somebody will be taking off their shoe and pounding a table with it.

WashingtonGardener said...

so hilarious that my new neighbors are Russian too and I'm talking OLD SCHOOL Ruskies - straight out of central casting - the elderly babushka and baby are home all day - they take walks by my house two times a day - speak ZERO English - we smile and nod
-- one son basically looks like an anemic Chris Walken and lives in the basement, there are constant vistors coming-going, other neighbors find them very worrisome... I find them to be highly entertaining in a 1970s B movie way

FirePhrase said...

There's a new 7-11 in the neighborhood, run by a Russian guy named Igor. He totally blows the whole "dark, depressive Russian" image. He's all cheerful shopkeepery. "You wuhnt cuhfee? Take yor time. We're open 24 hours!" But unless he's gathering intell on American consumption of Red Bull and convenience store hot dogs, I think he can be trusted.

TIME: Quotes of the Day