Monday, June 28, 2010

Keep your friends close, but not too close for comfort

I think there would be an interesting sociological/psychological thesis that could be based on the road trip. And if I was going to do it, my initial thesis would be, Never put four passengers in a 4-passenger car. I could write up this weekend’s Hill Country foray as a case study.

For it to be a true road trip, you need a driver and a navigator. The third person adds a desirable level of rotation, and a flexible dynamic between having to concentrate on the road, providing discussion topics, or sitting the back seat with your iPod playing and staring out the window. And of course, they become the tie breaker in the tacos or barbecue for dinner decision. Person number four, however, just throws a big fat monkey wrench into the works. Cross-chatter starts. Somebody thinks somebody else was supposed to grab the map. Stomachs do not synchronize. Somebody’s hot, somebody’s cold, somebody’s just right, and somebody is sitting in the corner writing a journal entry that says “Day 2: Have begun to try to chew through my seatbelt . . .”

Not that I don’t love all my friends. And I’d go on a road trip with any two of them any time, any place. We did manage to even out the bumps, and have a good time. But four people in a Toyota, unless they are all practicing Buddhist monks or mildly tranquilized, is just crabby patties waiting to happen.

6 comments:

glorm said...

I see an entire book on this subject

FirePhrase said...

If my cautionary tale saves but one road trip ...

WashingtonGardener said...

Good road trip buddies are hard to find. One friend posted on FB this quote: "never travel with anyone who thinks the only good potato salad is their own" or something like that - I think that is SO ON THE NOSE! I mean the worst travel companions are those who can't just let go and experience/observe. They crab about the food, the traffic, the hotel beds, etc. is all better at home. As Charlie Brown would say, "argh!"

FirePhrase said...

People who can let it go just aren't that big of a percentage of the world's population. Finding 3 to get in a car with you is just about impossible. I think I'm going to stick with 3 as my magic number.

momo said...

not to mention the air conditioning issues ... cold-natured types vs hot-flashing seniors LOL

FirePhrase said...

cold, hot, cold, hot. we had our own little weather system going on in there.

TIME: Quotes of the Day