Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's a crazy idea . . . but it just might work!

I’ve been thinking I’m going to start calling myself Lucky. I know it’s kind of pretentious to give yourself a nickname (see any cast member on the Jersey Shore for evidence). And given that a lightning strike took out my TV, my cable box and my fake fireplace, and possibly a ceiling fan (the jury is still out on that one), and I’m 41 years old and still haven’t gotten my life figured out yet, “lucky” may not exactly be the right word.

But I have a friend who knew a woman who referred to herself as “Pretty Helen.” How’s that for ballsy? As in, “I said to myself, “Pretty Helen” . . .” Bananas? Possibly. But I don’t even know this woman, and I think of her as Pretty Helen, so obviously it worked.

I don’t know, I could use a little karmic change. Something to put that positive vibe out there. See it, be it. How many people do I know that seem to fall in to manure and come out smelling like a rose, just because they think that’s what should happen. And also, I’ve been totally obsessed with lucky charms lately. Show me anything with a 4-leaf clover, horseshoe, wish bone, or anything remotely lucky on it, and I’m buying it. Do I really need an 8th green t-shirt? No. But it’s got a shamrock on it!

Now, I’m not really sure how one goes about giving oneself a nickname. Other than walking around saying things like “I said to myself, Lucky . . . I call myself, Lucky.” Which is, yeah, bananas. Maybe join a sports team so that I can get “LUCKY” on the back of my shirt. Too bad I didn’t think of this before I started ushering at the Performing Arts Center. I coulda scored a name tag and thousands of strangers who would think that really was my name.

5 comments:

glorm said...

Isn't it official if someone else gives you a nickname?

Hi, Lucky.

I knew a gal in high school whose legal given name was Lucky.

FirePhrase said...

Thanks, Glo! You da best!

WashingtonGardener said...

The New Jersey guy on Big Brother dubbed himself "The Meow, Meow" first night in the house - I'm just pissed I did not think o that nickname for myself 1st!

Go for it, LuckY!

FirePhrase said...

I'm kind of surprised that you didn't think of it first. Actually, are you sure you didn't? It really sounds like you.

WashingtonGardener said...

LOL, FP, "The Meow, Meow" (comma or not?) talks about himself as such in the 3rd person quite a bit - the Big Brother house will do that to you. I think he has earned the name, so I'm gonna be generous and let him keep it ;-)

TIME: Quotes of the Day