Wednesday, June 16, 2010

There's something about a man with a life preserver

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/06/16/how-kevin-costner-went-from-fish-man-to-oil-spill-expert/

Okay, frankly, Kevin Costner has never been sexier to me. Not even during the “I believe in” speech from Bull Durham. And that was pretty sexy. In fact, give me a minute to review the clip in my head. Aw, hell yeah.

Anyway, I don’t really think I even care if works all that well. Though that would be good (please, Kevin, save my beach). It really is that he saw a problem that could affect the entire planet, realized that he had money and name recognition, and decided to do something about it. Much like Paul Newman slapping that blue-eyed mug on a bottle of salad dressing, it’s not just lending a name to a cause, it’s lending a hand. He wasn’t acting. He really IS Dances with Wolves.

And this isn’t the airy-fairy, feel good but do little kind of help. This is a science based solution that was put into major production. That took guts and determination. Or just a case of beer on the porch and a “what the heck, I got nothing better to do”. But both of those motivations can work.

I really do hope that these extractors work. And I kinda hope the guy makes obscene amounts of money on the deal. And I hope that they get Kevin Costner to play him in the movie.

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

on The Daily Show they treated his idea and presentation as laighable fluff - felt bad for him actually

FirePhrase said...

I like Stewart. But occasionally he pushes it a little on ridiculing anyone with an idea. If people are afraid to try because they might get mocked from the sidelines, I don't think anyone benefits.

victory4angela said...

What's amazing that if it does work, it took an actor to solve a problem that supposedly the best scientists at BP haven't been able to fix.

TIME: Quotes of the Day