Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Oh, honey, you're so melodramatic

Okay, kids, not something I usually throw out there, but last night's TV viewing brought it up. Let's call this post PG-13 for mild sexual content:

Okay, there seems to be some minor kerfuffle about Lady Gaga’s Alejandro video. I love the Gaga, but the song is a blatant ABBA rip-off (not necessarily a bad thing) and the video doesn’t relate to it in any way, either textually or thematically. It really just ends up being some sort of wild track in the background of a bondage/spanking themed video with sacrilegious overtones.

I’m not sure about how offensive it is though. If I was religious, I’d pretty much take this as a weak slap and say “what else ya got?” Really, Madonna did it with a lot more style 20 years ago (better song, too). And as far as heresy, Linda Blair topped anything that Gaga tried with non-church-sanctioned use of a crucifix 30 years ago. Mostly a yawn for me.

But what I do find kind of curious is the way that people who have church-related sex hang ups are always so pissy about it. I went to Baptist school until I was 10. I know from hang ups. But when people start popping on latex nun costumes to protest by having kinky sex, the “rebellion” seems a little disingenuous. Honestly, if you’re having fun with the hanky spanky, it’s BECAUSE you have hang ups. If you don’t have an issue about being spanked, it’s just somebody slapping you on the ass, and it gets to be kind of annoying.

If everybody on the planet had a few thousand dollars worth of therapy and got over the fact that some religious figure made them feel dirty about their body, dominatrices would be put out of business. For a lot of people, if it isn’t dirty, they aren’t doing it right. And if it is, thank Father O’Brien, Rabbi Klein or Reverend Jones. Cause otherwise, plain vanilla, missionary position in the dark would be fun enough. And wouldn’t that be a shame?

4 comments:

victory4angela said...

There's some article in today's WaPo about this too. Personally, I just don't like the song. When she performed it on AI, we watched about half and then FFd through it because it was pretty boring compared to her other stuff.

I think some people just aren't happy unless they're complaining about something...

FirePhrase said...

The song is pretty mediocre, and doesn't improve the more you hear it.

I found a Mark Judge piece on the WaPo. Liked his take, though I do think calling Gaga "lazy trash" is a little harsh. That girl is always working. And they can't all be hits. We'll see what she turns out next.

WashingtonGardener said...

I think the song is very catchy - I intensely dislike the video cause I can;t get past those atrocious bowl cuts on the otherwise hot guys and her "no make up" look - as far as being offensive or anything, this is minor league

FirePhrase said...

I think as a song it's a competent dance song, but not a great dance song. I don't think anyone is going to hear this 5 years from now and "That's my jam! I gotta dance to this."

TIME: Quotes of the Day