Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sad Day

Okay, it’s silly. But Rue McClanahan’s passing makes me genuinely sad. Like teary-eyed sad. Of course, the sad has been building as we’ve lost our GGs one at a time. And now there’s only Betty White. Talk about an era ending. I’m remembering all those nights watching the Golden Girls with my sister, giggling over Blanche’s sexy-smart funnies. Blanche Deveraux was a slut, and damned proud of it. That gal knew how to have fun. And anyone who has thought of themselves as “sexier at 50” has her to thank for blazing that trail.

And while we are on the subject, could we get Betty White a Mark Twain Award before it’s too late? That she has been passed over for so long is shocking to me. Just because she makes it look easy, effortless!, doesn’t mean that it is. She’s a lady, and a broad, and just plain funny. From Suanne Nivens to SNL, her body of work speaks for itself. And, frankly, I think Mark Twain would have gotten a kick out of her. She’s a national treasure. And in honoring her, the nation would be honoring four very funny ladies.

4 comments:

glorm said...

Never watched Golden Girls but have seen Rue McClanahan in a lot of things. I go way back with Betty White who, by the way, was in Mama (Mama's Family in reruns) with Rue, These gals are real pros.

FirePhrase said...

I used to love Mama's Family. Haven't seen it in years, though. I loved those Family of the Bride movies that Rue did where she had all these messed up kids, and married a much younger man. Total pot boilers, but also totally fun.

victory4angela said...

I was sad to hear of her passing too. I watched GGs a lot during my "summer of chemo". Loved that show and could watch reruns all day long.

FirePhrase said...

My brother-in-law is slowly buying the seasons on DVD for my sister so that she can always have them in an emergency situation. It's practically therapeutic.

TIME: Quotes of the Day