Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hello, hello, my phone's ring-ing

I’ve been resisting going into the super-duper phone thing. E-mail, camera, web, GPS, slicer, dicer, chopper. I came to like the camera in my cell. It has been handy for those I-don’t-really-need-a-picture-but-I’ll-take-one-anyway moments. Like when I see a book that looks interesting, but want to take a look at a review before I shell out. Then I don’t have to spend 8 minutes thinking, “What was the name of that book by whoever that was?” See? Handy.

And I have texting. But it’s the phone keyboard rather than full QWERTY, so I really, really need to want to communicate. Click, click, click, Y, click, click, E, click, click, click, click, S. Not amusing.

And I know that there are super-duper phones that will make all of that easy. But it’s a slippery slope. There’s no such thing as a perfect phone. No matter how many things it does do, there’s something more that you wish that it did. That’s the way they get you. Not planned obsolescence, planed irritation. I took this picture, I wish I could share it with Nancy easily. New phone. Nancy thought that picture was so funny, I wish I could post it to Facebook easily. New phone. Alan just commented on my picture, I wish I knew where he was right this moment so we could meet up. New phone. I know some people who’ve been through 5 or six phones while I’ve been using the same model. And as they are showing me the really cool thing the new cell does, they’re complaining because now they can control their phone with thoughts, but they can’t uplink to the Mars rover – how annoying! New phone.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

yes, one should really think first before purchasing is do 'more' really 'do better' - i don;t need games, ringtones, tip calculator, etc. wish i could get a rebate for those features - meanwhile there are many features i'd like to have work a lot better and faster too!

FirePhrase said...

I figured out a way to delete most of those apps off my phone. Freed up a lot of space for pictures of idiots caught under railway crossing guards. Somebody needs to document these things.

victory4angela said...

I love my tip calculator! I use it all the time since I suck at math. I'm eagerly anticipating getting a Droid (except I work for AT&T - that could be tricky). I've had my current phone for several years and it's time for an upgrade. I may be upgrading, but I wait a lonnnng time to do it.

FirePhrase said...

I don't need the tip calculator because I'm a shameless over-tipper. I do use the alarm clock on my phone though. It's a great nap timer.

TIME: Quotes of the Day