Monday, May 3, 2010

Ya Gotta Laugh

Here is one thing I've learned as I hit the second half of life - it's just not going to get any easier. For years I thought, "being a [teenager/young adult/adult] is just so hard. If I make it to the next stage it will get easier." Wrong, wrong, wrong. It never gets simple. Your relationships never get easier. Your finances never get easier. Your body never gets easier to live in. I've often told my younger friends, if you haven't developed a sense of humor about your body by the time you're 40, you're screwed.

I mean, when you're young, you can take things very seriously. Why not? Everything is tight, high and firm. It is a force to be reckoned with. But eventually, the butt has less bounce. There are wobbles where there were never wobbles before. And gasses. There are gasses, people. I knew that older folks were kinda gassy. But I never really understood that it would happen to me. Me! And it all starts long before you're eligible for AARP. That's a little secret noboby let me in on.

And oh, sure, there are dyes, and creams, and "procedures", and injections, and what not that can help with the wobbles and sags and graying. But it's pretty much like trying to keep the tide back with a push broom. Good luck with that. And there's really nothing that's going to help with the gassy. Oh, you can muffle it, but you're never really going to silence that symphony. Not altogether, you're not.

But a sense of humor? It's a thing of beauty, my friends. The person who finds laughter in their laugh lines and giggles in their gasses will find that life is, if not easier, much more enjoyable. Don't take life so seriously. It'll give you frown lines.

1 comment:

victory4angela said...

There's a lot of stuff no one ever tells you about...but would we actually have believed them if they had? It sucks getting old, what can I say! (But it SURE beats the alternative)

TIME: Quotes of the Day