Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Give a little bit

Not sure if anyone else is inclined this way, but I thought I’d pass along something I found out. I was making a donation to the Red Cross for Haiti a few weeks ago, and discovered that you can make a donation through your Amazon account. First, don’t tell my Dad that I’m donating to the Red Cross – he hates them, something to do with Vietnam, even though my Dad served in Turkey not Vietnam, but he gets all purple in the face, so I’m not going there to find out. Second, I’m donating to the Red Cross because they’re there. Wherever the disaster is, they are there.

So, knowing what I did about the Haiti donation, I went again for Chile, and it is incredibly easy to just give $10. I spend $10 on a lot of stupid things in this world, so giving a little dough to help people whose lives have fallen down around them is the least I can do. And my biggest barrier to donating at times like this is that I think of it, then I forget because I don't have a phone number, or website, or my credit card right then. The Amazon link makes it instant grat giving. What a concept!

And of course I have an Amazon account. I put Mr. Amazon’s youngest through college. I know there’s a lot of things that are questionable, but still, I adore Amazon. I do at least half my holiday shopping through them. I can buy just about anything that’s available on the internet, without coughing up my credit card info to anyone and everyone. And now they make it completely donate money right when it’s need. I heart Amazon very, very much.

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm shicked your dad is anti-red cross - all my WWII vet family & friends say if it was not for the RC bringing them food and meds in the POW camps that they would be dead - maybe they fell down in Vietnam? But I think today they are back up to doing a heroic job

FirePhrase said...

He gets that super-clenchy "Dad's mad" look on his face. Someday, I'll get up the nerve to ask him. Anyway, if you want to be able to get effective help to people in need immediately, the Red Cross seems to be the way to go. They are on the ground in so many places, and have such an effective network, it's really amazing what a variety of ways they help.

glorm said...

My friend was very much against the Red Cross and refused to donate money to them. No, I can't remember why. Her dad spent years in the military.

TIME: Quotes of the Day