Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ain't diversity grand?

Really, it’s so great to see Victoria’s Secret start a body-positive campaign like “I Love My Body.” So many fashion campaigns push a cookie cutter body image, and a narrow view of what is beautiful. But Vickie’s jumps in there with campaign that is about loving the you that you are. It’s empowerment.
Look at the diversity they represent. You can be any size, any shape and any color of woman with big boobs, a tiny waist and less that 18 percent body fat and still have a beautiful, lovable body. They really are angels.

[Okay, fer real. It’s probably unfair to smack Vickie’s. They are one of the few, and one of the earliest, to consistently embrace ethnic models, and not have a lily-white public face. I’ll give them points for that. Kudos. But the fem-bot thing, really? And I should also point out that, in the interest of full disclosure, they don’t even make my bra size. A little bitter.]

4 comments:

victory4angela said...

My bra size is relegated to the bottom drawer behind the other bras (if they have any) so I feel your pain. What's funny is that a) most Americans don't look anything like those models and b) most women who shop there seem to be bigger than that too and dress like sloppy college freshman with their "pink" pajama bottoms on at the mall.

FirePhrase said...

People blather on about brand image and aspirational marketing. But at a certain point it just becomes so split from reality you wonder how they stay in business. They say things like "Every woman needs a black bustier in their closet." Define "every". This word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

victory4angela said...

I used to wear this one type of Vickie's underwear in college until I saw how the same kind made my roomie's butt look (the fabric billowed out in the most unflattering way). I stopped wearing them and haven't been back since.

FirePhrase said...

I'm kinda peeved about the lack of my size in a bra. But more than that, their drawers are past my shock point on price. Even on their supposed "stock up" sale. I'll stick with my no-frill Fruit o' the Loom, thanks. And if you need something "sexy", I think usually free-bird kind of has it covered. And oh, that's . . . FREE.

TIME: Quotes of the Day