Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ugly

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-mariah5-2009nov05,0,6612431.story

You know what? While I’m ranting. Let me say something about this article. “Mariah Carey shows her ugly side”.

Beg pardon?

That really pisses me off. I look at that picture of her as a social worker in a movie, and I don’t see ugly. I see dozens of women that I know. Women who have real lives. Women who get up every morning and try to look presentable so that they can go do their jobs. ESPECIALLY women in caring professions (and men too, thank you kindly) who put up with a lot, in bad light and no time to eat, let alone reapply lipstick and fluff their hair. She doesn’t look like Mariah Carey. She looks real.

Not all of us get paid to be air-brushed to perfection. Not all of us are ornamental. We have purpose. We have lives. And just because we only get to spruce up on the odd special occasion, and most days we’re lucky to have our hair combed and most of our buttons done right that doesn't make us less. And it sure does not make us ugly.

And for the ones who are out there every day, on top of everything else, trying to make a difference in people’s lives - the social workers, medical professionals, soldiers, cops, firefighters, teachers - they aren’t just not “ugly”, they are beautiful.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Real = Ugly in Hollywood

to that I F - U!

FirePhrase said...

Genuinely, it is starting to piss me off. Hollywood seems to forget that they are a service industry. And any service company will tell you, when you start treating your customers with contempt, you are on the short road to being out of business. Who do you suppose they think actually BUYS the movie tickets?

victory4angela said...

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP! Amen, sister.

My co-workers look real similar to that (and I'm sure I do too!). I don't wear much makeup or any lipstick as I'm just trying to get up every morning, take out the dog and feed him, make sure Mike's up, and sit in traffic for almost an hour to get to my non-glamorous 9-5 job.

Mariah should thank her lucky stars she even got the chance for this movie after the fiasco of Glitter. She should also thank her lucky stars she has an entourage of people to do her hair, makeup, nails, shopping, and chauffer her butt around.

FirePhrase said...

You got that right, on Glitter. And Mariah might take a lesson. The fakery of Glitter earned her a big fat Razzie. The unglamorous role is getting her respect.

I swear this has me all aggravated. She just looks normal. And if Hollywood has gotten so isolated from real life that they are repelled by the average American woman, it's high time they took a step outside of LA and saw how the rest of us live.

TIME: Quotes of the Day