Thursday, November 5, 2009

Not the Eureka moment I was hoping for

[Cross-posted to Facebook]

So, I went to the Master of Liberal Studies information session tonight. And everybody that spoke was pretty gung ho. But any snake oil salesman will tell you, you don't send doubters out as recruiters - you send the true believers. Okay that's cynical. But there was a lot of happy clappy about how the world is changing, and organizations need the kind of integrative, imaginative thinking that they teach in an MLS program. The world will open it's doors for the wonderful brain you will possess after successfully navigating their course. I'll be competitively positioned. Finally.

Funnily enough, I heard much the same thing 20 years ago when I decided to change from an education program to liberal studies 20 years ago. And I can tell you, in the 20 years since, I've never once heard anyone say "You're an English major? Thank God you're here!" I've had to beg borrow or steal every job I've ever had. And it hasn't exactly been a steady climb up the ziggurat of success.

They also talked about how they'll teach us to be "outside the box" thinkers.

I've been an outside the box thinker my entire life. Sometimes I'm so far outside the box that I have trouble remembering exactly where the box was. I also have trouble understanding why people want to live inside a box in the first place. And for their part, box dwellers usually like their box, and really wish I'd quit trying to kick the sides in.

Career-wise, I've come to realize that I'm a square peg. And you can try to jam a square peg into a round hole, but mostly you'll just end up bruising the pegs corners and pissing off the hole. I've also come to realize that career-wise, the holes pretty much own the playing field. Not their fault. They're good at running organizations.

It's a problem. And one that I'm not sure an advanced degree will fix for me.

I'm going to need to find something that I can do for the next 30 years or so. I think it's a basic human need: to be useful. I must be good for something. I just can't seem to figure out what that is. There are other square pegs out there. Some of them just seem to be much better at it than I am. I need to figure this out. I just have this nagging feeling that I need to do it soon, before it's too late.

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I went to a seminar once on "you don't need a job" - what she taught was that you work - but not for the Man. You have several things you do to pay bills -- like tutor, party plan, personal shopper, etc. Some weeks you work a lot, others you don't. But you set your own hours and what your interests are. It adds up to a lot of hustling and you have to focus to cover the mortgage. But a lot of what she said has stuck with me. Build up many skills and interests and you are not dependent on one paycheck. What about teaching knitting and selling your creations on Etsy on the side to start? Then seeing where that takes you.

glorm said...

I'm a bit of a square peg also. What attracted me to your blogs 2-3 years ago was your way with words and your writing style. I'd like to see you in print.

FirePhrase said...

There's something to be said for the seat of the pants lifestyle. And if that public option comes through for health care, I'll be really tempted to give it a try. I guess I need to start assessing what it is that I have to offer and if anyone would want it.

Thanks, Glo. I was pretty sure you had to be a fellow square peg. The beauty of the blog is that, since I'm not getting paid for it, I've had a wonderful degree of freedom to say just what I please, and people read if it speaks to them, or pass it by if it doesn't. I'm something of an acquired taste. Like olives.

glorm said...

P.S. I meant in print, professionally. You should be a paid writer, for all to enjoy.

FirePhrase said...

From your lips to God's ears, m'dear.

TIME: Quotes of the Day