Monday, November 9, 2009

Judgy much?

You know that thing about books and covers?

I went to see that production of Talk Radio on Sunday afternoon. My play buddy and I simultaneously had the “Thank heaven it’s in the daylight” moment as we drove into the area where the show was. Not the sort of area you want to be driving around while female at night. During weekdays, I’m sure it’s a bustling warehouse area. On the weekends? Mildly post-apocalyptic.

We finally found the place. Luckily, they called themselves the Green Zone. And it’s quite apropos. It’s this giant detached garage with three loading doors, painted a kicky shade of Kelly green. Also apropos because the neighborhood looked mildly Baghdad-ish, complete with the Iraq Museum of Antiquities next door. It was this giant, fenced-in parking lot with all of these big brass and iron statues in different states of disintegration. The kind of pieces you’d buy for your garden, if you’ve got a modest acre plot. Big horses in mid-gallop. Weeping Greek ladies. Longhorn cattle. A large male torso that has rather unfortunate bits missing (head, limbs, other accessories). Well. Unfortunate for him. Anatomically correct it would be a rather intimidating bit of bric-a-brac to have around the manse. It was very large. The parking lot for the theater was also fenced. Chain link is never a good sign for your personal security.

We went in, past the grindingly institutional lobby, the size of a bathroom stall, and right into a really well built theater. Blink, blink. Did we just teleport? Because this isn’t the theater that was inside the building we just entered. That theater was 20 folding chairs and Ikea track lighting used for spotlights. This TARDIS of a theater was spacious, well equipped, and adequately seated (though at the 80 minute mark, I started to get a raging case of church pew butt – wiggle, wiggle, wiggle). Huh. Who knew? I’ve had several experiences here in Dallas where the plucky, let’s put on a show chutzpah is supposed to make up for crap surroundings. And that’s, frankly, what I was expecting here. Not so, Doubting Thomasina. Not so.

Happily, the show was up to snuff too. I can tolerate a bad show in a good space, but bear grudges about a good show in a bad space. (Arbitrary, but I’m okay with that.) But this was a good show in a good place. Nothing to complain about. I’d recommend going to this or any other play at the Green Zone. Though I, myself, won’t be doing a night show. Unless I make friends with a new play buddy who’s a green beret.

6 comments:

victory4angela said...

Kind of sounds like the old Trax nightclub in SE DC. I went there in college and was nervous to get out of the car. As you know, SE DC is not a place to be, especially after dark.

We went through metal detectors to get in (not a good sign either). It was actually a pretty cool place with a large dance floor and an outdoor beach volleyball area (fenced in, natch). We were outside when a helicopter with a spotlight hovered overhead clearly searching for someone around the area.

Then I was afraid to leave! I had a good time, but was reluctant to ever go back. Crazy fun atmosphere - gay, straight, bi-whatever. No one cared. It's closed now.

FirePhrase said...

Ah, the eternal club conundrum. The good clubs can't afford to be in places where normal people feel safe. There's that halcyon age where you're old enough to appreciate the coolness. Five minutes later, you're too smart to risk getting mugged just for cheap drinks and a hella hot dance floor. Shout out to The Devil House! RIP - pour out some $1 LI Tea for the homey that didn't make it.

WashingtonGardener said...

Ang - Tracks isn't "closed" per se - it was torn down as was he rest of that gay club area for the National Stadium and ssurrounding fancy high-rises that are now half-built or empty.

"Mildly post-apocalyptic." Just my style. I think I should have some Ts made up for my new band of that name.

FirePhrase said...

That would be an awesome band name! You'd have to open for You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead. I'm thinking the sound would be Flaming Lips meets Rage Against the Machine.

Ugh, developers are the enemy of decent clubs everywhere. They deserve the fern bars they spawn. Paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

victory4angela said...

I thought Trax was closed way before the new stadium was a glimmer in the City's eye. I knew about the other gay clubs being torn down to make way, but I thought Trax was gone years and years ago.

WashingtonGardener said...

Tracks was torn down and an ofice building - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=625koN32GYE for nostalgia footage. There was a Tracks 2000 for a bit too. There is now a Tracks in Denver and I think was another on the East Coast.
What I miss most was Nation aka The Capitol Ballroom - best place in the city to see live acts aside from 9:30 Club.

TIME: Quotes of the Day