Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fire and brimstone

I saw the pictures from the protest in front of Sidwell Friends in DC this morning. I wasn’t really surprised that it got some attention with the Obama girls going to school there. What did make me blink was the picture of the protester in front of the Sidwell lower school who was holding a sign that said “God hates you.” I mean actually blink. Like my brain just couldn’t process the image. I’m a bad old agnostic, and even I think God might be upset about somebody putting those words in his mouth.

What place does that come from?

The ancient Mesopotamian gods were complete assholes. No lie. They were mean, vindictive and more often than not indifferent to the happiness of humanity. And if you lived in ancient Mesopotamia, with the droughts, and the sandstorms and the catastrophic floods, and the occasional earthquake, and virulent plagues and famine, you might think your god was a hateful bastard too.

So who are these people for whom hate is a holy attribute? Who is the church that thinks “www.godhatesfags.com” is the message that they want to send to the world? Do they think that's the "good news" they are supposed to spread? What kind of existence do they lead, that makes a god who hates school children the deity that speaks to them? How often does their holy of holies throw thunderbolts their way and laugh at their pain?

Don’t tell me. I don’t think I want to know.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

You know, I still have heard NOTHING of this in the local news. Guess we are not dignifying it by ackowledging it. Heinous.

FirePhrase said...

Good for them for ignoring this stuff. If more people did, maybe these people would just go away and shout at each other instead. What ever happened to "Jesus Loves Me" Christians?

TIME: Quotes of the Day