Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Trying to get off the bottle (or at least get on to an environmentally friendly one)

For some reason I’m having a hard time finding a water bottle. No, actually not “some reason.” It’s because I’m picky. I want to do the right thing and reduce the amount of plastic bottles in landfill, yet I like my portable water. I’ve been shopping for one for about 3 months, and have yet to find one that’s up to scratch.

The whole BPA-free issue is just the starting point of decision factors. I can’t really do the travel mug style water bottles because, well, I have a nose. And I hate it when my nose bumps the lid. And for some reason, they all seem to have a weird, thick rim, and they all turn into dribble glasses for me. I’m not crazy about aluminum bottles, either, even though they’re uniformly the prettiest. There’s something about drinking out of aluminum that creeps me out. I think it’s bad Boy Scout canteen flashbacks. Then there’s size conundrum. I prefer a 1 pint size. Anything more water than that can get pretty heavy to drag around. But in that size, everything I’ve found is a kids’ model. Not really looking for a Hello Kitty water bottle. And on the juvenile side, don’t get me started about the nipples. I hate the ones that have the delivery mechanism that you more or less have to suck on. I’m 40 years old. I do not need to be in public slurping on a ba-ba. Grew out of my oral fixation, thanks.

You wouldn’t think it would be this difficult, would you? What I really want is a reusable 1 pint Dasani bottle. Nothing fancy. If anybody spots anything out there, let me know.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

GreenFest had tons of choices but I was not looking to close as I've gotten more reusable bottles now than I'll ever need cluttering up my cabinets - how is that for irony? I suggest you get a bigger bottle style but just fill it only 1/2way - that is why I do for easy portability. Then refill at destination or as needed.

FirePhrase said...

I tried that with a freebie bottle I got. But the slosh factor just got to me. Did I mention the pick part? It wasn't the bottle of my dreams.

TIME: Quotes of the Day