Thursday, October 15, 2009

Freeze! NCIS

Okay, my latest obsession? NCIS. Loving that show. I don’t know why. In theory, I should be totally uninterested. And considering how long it’s been on, I was totally uninterested for a very long time. It’s military related. Not really my thing. It has a heavy forensic element. And I’m not so wild about those autopsy/bone saw scenes. And it has the quirky goth chick. And frankly, I think that’s a sign of trying to hard. But then, I kind of did one of those leave it on while I’m folding laundry things. And whammo. Fished in.

Okay, let’s get the first reason I’m digging it out of the way. Mark Harmon. So yummy you could eat him on toast points. He was hot in the 80s. And now the silver fox thing is working like gangbusters for him. You could do a reality TV show of him, just following him around all day. He wouldn’t need to have any crazy ass psycho-drama to be must see. Mark Harmon eating scrambled eggs for breakfast. Mark Harmon on the treadmill. Mark Harmon opening mail.

Second, I’m completely into throwback to the 80s shows right now. Basically, character-driven formula drama with a sense of humor. Think Simon & Simon or The Scarecrow & Mrs. King. You know what to expect every episode. You just tune in to see these characters do their thing. If you do it well, these shows are sustainable for years. Lately, every new show thinks it has to have twists, turns, surprises, cliff hangers, jaw droppers. And they burn out way too fast. Look at Heroes. It was “What will they do next?” every episode. Then by the second season, you really just didn’t care any more. You can get bored by constant fireworks. Psych, Monk, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight. All of them have a modern gloss. But at their roots, they could all have been on TV with Miami Vice. And USA is the king of comfort food TV right now. They don’t really surprise me often. They don’t really have to.

Don’t ask me what’s going on in the current season. I’m just kind of contentedly wandering around somewhere in the middle, where I came in. And that’s the really cool thing. Because I’m late to the party, there are all these back episodes to catch up on. It’s all new to me. Nice.

2 comments:

glorm said...

Way ahead of you on this one having watched NCIS since ep. 1. Ah, yes, Mark Harmon. I will pretty much watch anything he is in. And even though he's an antique now it's nice to see David McCallum again ("Duckie"). He was Ilya Kuryakin in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."

ION TV is showing the old eps. The first few years they had a character named Kate, who had a huge following, which is probably why they made Deva (sp?) a totally different character from Kate.

FirePhrase said...

I know. I'm a late adopter on this. What was I thinking??? Thank goodness for syndication, or I'd a missed out big.

Duckie is one of my favorites. He's just cute as a bug. I'm figureing that I'll get to the end of whatever reruns USA happens to have, and one day I'll turn on NCIS and think, "Wait. Who's that? Where's so-and-so?"

TIME: Quotes of the Day