Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Big Girls Don't Buy (Ralph Lauren)

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/was-the-photoshopped-ralph-lauren-model-fired-for-being-overweight-525248/

Well, when rocks get lifted, you never know what's gonna crawl out into the light of day. Looks like Ralph Lauren had already fired the poor model they'd turned into a scarecrow, prior to the bungled PhotoShop pic from their ad making the news. Cause she was too fat. At 5'10" and 120 lbs.

A quick check of the CDC's BMI calculator shows that at a BMI of 17.2, she would be in the underweight category. Not really badly underweight. Not scarecrow/stick girl underweight. But underweight nonetheless. And Ralph Lauren passed on her, and went to look for somebody skinnier - e.g., more underweight. This seems to be a concept that the fashion industry has a problem with, if you want a tall girl, being super slim isn't going to be very healthy. You can have a skinny girl. She's just going to be short. If you want the girl to wear a size 0 sample, go out and find somebody 4'11". Tall or tiny. Pick. Your choice.

And at 5'7" and considerably more than 120 lbs, I'm obviously way too fat for Ralph Lauren's clothes too. So I'm just gonna mosey on over to the big gals' department, and spend my money over there. And you go ahead and sell your clothes to those tall and skinny freaks of nature. I'm sure there's a lot of them out there. And first thing in the morning, after they've had their black coffee and half a Triscuit for the day, they probably have enough energy to go out and by your glad rags. Sounds like a hell of a sales strategy. Good luck with it.

2 comments:

victory4angela said...

Here's my thoughts. I am nearly 5'10" and I weigh considerably more than 120 lbs. However, when I had CANCER and dropped a ton of weight 'cuz I couldn't keep any food in me I weighed 125 lbs. My nurse freaked out and immediately jumped in to make sure I was getting enough nutrition so I wouldn't lose any more weight because I was TOO darned skinny and gaunt.

I think Mr. Klein should donate at least 50% of his proceeds to anorexia/bulimia treatment centers since he's not helping young ladies have a healthy body image. I say "boo" to Calvin Klein.

FirePhrase said...

Let's face it, the fashion industry thrives on women having such low self esteem that they'll seek validation by trying to live up to impossible standards and damage their bodies just to be able to fit into clothes made by somebody who will tell you that you're never skinny enough. It's a sick little game. But some women are happy to play it. And others are willing to profit by it. Boo, indeed.

TIME: Quotes of the Day