Friday, October 2, 2009

A Soldier's Heart

http://wcco.com/local/Woman.Receives.Heart.2.1222173.html

I think it would be a fitting tribute to this brave and thoughtful young man, that if everyone who hears his story would give strong consideration to becoming an organ donor. It is a gift that saves lives. One donor can help dozens of people. If you decide donation is the right choice for you, talk about it with your family. Make sure that the people who would make end-of-life decisions for you know that you want to be a donor. There are many places that have free advice and donor consent forms that you can fill out (http://www.organdonor.gov/donor/index.htm). The Nicholas Effect changed attitudes toward organ donation in Italy. It would be wonderful if Corporal Ben Kopp could do the same thing here.

8 comments:

victory4angela said...

I agree. My uncle was the recipient of a heart transplant several years ago. I was an organ donor, but thanks to pesky Priscilla I am tainted goods and they don't want my organs. It makes me very sad. I can't even give away my blood - but that's something else people should do. Donate blood - it saved my life many times.

FirePhrase said...

Dang that Priscilla. She's just a spoiler. I don't even feel sorry for her getting her butt whupped.

I've given up on giving blood. I'm borderline anemic, and they'll never let me donate. They've even put my blood in the centrifuge trying to see if I'm just on this side of the boderline, but I never make it. So I try to make it up donating to the Red Cross.

I think the whole donation idea is kind of awesome. If you ever take a look at the list of the different ways that a single donor can go on to help so many people, it's really pretty mind boggling.

WashingtonGardener said...

With all the blood donation rules, it amazes me anyone passes and is able to give -- wish they'd make that part more public -- once rejected for too low weight another time for traveling to the Caribbean and another for being on tetracycline the year before. Sheesh. May try it again next time my church does their drive.

FirePhrase said...

I can't do iron pills. They make me sick as a dog. But maybe I should try a month of iron rich food and see if I can't get that number up there enough to donate.

WashingtonGardener said...

DP - let me know how that goes - can't stomache much liver though iron pills wreck my system too and I have srious doubts those pills are actually getting absorbed anyway.

FirePhrase said...

I actually made a discovery this afternoon that chia seeds are high in iron, among other things, and have high absorbency. I've been looking at trying them for awhile. And this convinced me to run out and buy a bag of Amazon. I'll let you know how it goes.

glorm said...

Can't do iron pills? Try cooking with cast iron pans. (Wonder what me think of that? LOL)

FirePhrase said...

I have heard that!! ;) I've also heard of drinking water that's sat overnight in a copper kettle if you're low on copper. My only problem with cooking in a cast iron skillet is . . . uhm. . . it's cooking. And me, not so much with the cooking.

TIME: Quotes of the Day