Friday, August 21, 2009

Rain, rain, go away

You know what? I'm just not traveling in August any more. August and me - no good. Dang hurricanes. Quietest hurricane season in years, and I decide to give it a try - bam. Bill decides to muck up my travel plans. So, here I sit. Yet again. Staring at the Weather Channel. Wet and windy? Just windy? Just wet?

I'm on my way to DC for a flier this weekend. And as always, I rely on public transit in DC. It's one of the tourist friendliest public transit cities in the world. Very unintimidating for a novice. And with a Metro card and a little shoe leather, you're set to see, if not it all, a pretty damn lot. And if the locals aren't totally in love with tourists (what locals ever are?), they at least try to keep their muttering to a low roar.

I'd planned to hit several exhibits in the Mall area. The National Gallery has several Judith Leysters on loan and some Italian marbles rarely seen outside of Italy. The Air & Space has an exhibit of paintings by THE Alan Bean. And American History has the refurbed First Ladies collection (a long time personal fave) and Ms. Julia Childs' kitchen. AND if I could sneak it in, I've never been to the National Botanic Gardens (shame on me). But if it's going to be pissing with rain all weekend, I may just have to pick something and stay with it. Not something my fickle heart and short attention span is fond of - but wait! There's something over there to look at! But I'll just have to carry my trusty 'brella and be secure in the knowledge that there's always next time.

Or I can try to use my voodoo to calm the storm and save my vacation. Though that had disatrous consquences the last time I tried it (Sorry, NOLA.). Maybe a little music will soothe the savage storm. Come one, people. Sing it with me - Bill! I love you so, and always will. I look at you and see a choir of carousels . . .

7 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Right now they say T-storm watch for the District over at Midnight -we'll see - they are usually wrong - just bring your 'brelly and wellies and carry on as you normally would.

FirePhrase said...

My flight is already delayed. Sigh. Oh well. Maybe I'll see somebody interesting while I'm waiting at the airport again. And I have a book. And some yarn work. Idle hands an all that.

WashingtonGardener said...

BTW Chantilly has already tried on her beret and scarf - with no objections - have not tried boottie yet though. Trying to get her used to all them by pacing in her napping area before I do the full fashion photo shoot.

victory4angela said...

In the end, only Tara's party got rained out and the rest of the weekend was lovely. BTW, I think you left your black umbrella in the back seat of my car. I'll save it for your next visit. ;)

FirePhrase said...

That's where I lost it! I thought I'd sent another one to that great umbrella stand in the sky. I should know to never buy a decent umbrella. I might as well set them on fire for as long as I can hold onto them. Thanks!

victory4angela said...

It's a very nice umbrella. I usually lose them too so I buy the cheap-o versions. My other umbrella is a freebie I picked up at the MoCo's Road Runner's Club volunteer picnic. It's blue and white - no one would ever steal it. But now I have a purty black one. Thanks!

FirePhrase said...

I work downtown, which is where I usually need the umbrella. And it ends up working like a wind tunnel when the wind blows down those high-rise canyons. I might as well not carry anything for all the good a cheapo does. I'm just putting good umbrellas under the necessary evil category with other things I lose all the time: sunglasses, lip balms, pens, my marbles.

TIME: Quotes of the Day