Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cooties

I never think of myself as a germaphobe. I credit the fact that I have a fairly solid-state immune system to the fact that my Mom would basically let us lick the sidewalk as kids. Her philosophy always seemed to be “whatever doesn’t kill you will make you stronger – and don’t let it kill you.” Which I’ve always kind of lived by. (My sister on the other hand should buy stock in Purell).

But lately, I’ve had these moments when germy stuff just hits my switch. Like I was getting off the train today, and there was an empty water bottle on the steps. Kinda dangerous. I should pick it up. The garbage can happened to be about 5 feet away. Easy peasy. But it would involve me picking it up. Ewwwww. Wee beasties all over it. Going to make me sick.

After an intense 2 second debate with myself, I picked it up and threw it away. But then I had to treat my hand like it was under level 1 containment until I could get to the office and wash. I was seriously freaked out. Which 6 months ago would have been really unlike me. Usually, I’m the “oh for chrissakes, here I’ll do it sort” type about germy stuff. What doesn’t kill me, etc. But something has made me really paranoid lately. Maybe it’s the swine flu stuff.

The simple solution would be to buy a Purell bottle in a kicky travel holder. But I really hate giving in to my own paranoia. Mostly, germ stuff is simple. Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth. Wash frequently. Don’t stand next to anyone trying to hack up a lung. Sane precautions. But lately, all it takes is a suspect water bottle, and I want to go get a Silkwood scrub down. I can’t tell if I’m just becoming older and wiser, or older and wussier.

And by the way, after having typed it, I have decided that the Wee Beasties would be the best name ever for a band. Something that would be a cross between the Flaming Lips and the Monkees. Or, are the Beastie Boys kids old enough to have a band? That would be AWESOME.

7 comments:

momo said...

Is the same jb who "says" she has no qualms picking up a live cockroach and throwing it outside?! hmmmmm

FirePhrase said...

Totally true. I used to stomp them with my bare feet when I was a kid. Oh. That's probably TMI. Anyway, this is why the whole germ freakout is totally weird from me. Whoda thunk.

WashingtonGardener said...

I pick up botles & cans constantly thrown on the street near my house - don't give it a 2nd thought - though I have friends that FREAK when they see me do it bare-handed. I can think of MUCH worse things we touch everyday and never blink about it. How about libary books or ATM machine keypads? Worst for me are hotel phones - I at least run the earpiece off on the nearest handy cloth (usually my own pants) before I use it.

FirePhrase said...

I picked up the earpiece habit back in the Jeri juice days.

I'm really hoping this germanoia just runs its course. I really preferred not giving a rat's rear. And honestly, even when I'm at my most careless about germs, I don't get sick any more often than anyone else. That's it. I'm just going to stop this. Where's something gross to touch?

WashingtonGardener said...

NOW you gave it to me - At the supermarket chevkout I actually hesitated before swiping and entering keypad - ewp as the guy in line my me was "sketchy" to say the least. Ugh!

WashingtonGardener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FirePhrase said...

Sorry! Who knew germanoia was contagious?

TIME: Quotes of the Day