Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Circling the Drain

Just saw the Karl Malden died. What the hell?!?!?!? Not a good weak to be a celebrity with one foot in the grave. Fate is droppping banana peels.

I had a friend who volunteered in a nursing home who told me that they always watch out when one person dies. It can set off this wave, where 2 or three others who are on the brink will die too. Now that I live close to a large senior facility, I can say that once you see the ambulance roll up with the lights flashing but no siren, nine times out of ten, you're going to see it again in the next few days. Possibly several times.

I may not have seen all the celebrities to bucket. I'd better go check my dead pool. I might already be a winner. (Shout out to Ed McMahon, and all the homies that didn't make it!)

8 comments:

victory4angela said...

What the hey?! Since we've already had 3 celebrity deaths, does that mean we start the count over at 1 for Karl Malden? Who's not looking so hot lately?

FirePhrase said...

Don't forget Billy Mays and Fred Travelena. Q-list celebrities, but still. I'm counting 6.

I'm sending out a message of hope for Betty White and Rue McLanahan. Not that they're sick or anything. But we've already lost a Golden Girl this year. I don't think America is ready for another.

Of course, it could be La Liz Taylor. You know she's just all tore up about Michael.

victory4angela said...

I hadn't heard about Fred Travalena and I forgot to count Billy Mays. I'm reading Fred's bio and he had NHL and then prostate cancer. After 5 years of remission the lymphoma came back - not the sort of thing I personally want to think about.

I was heartsick when I heard about Bea Arthur. She was quite a dame.

FirePhrase said...

I remember Fred Travalena from talk shows when I was a kid. I seem to remember a Ronald Reagan impression. Cancer is a tricky bastard. A reminder to enjoy every second we have.

Bea Arthur was a class act. And she didn't have her success until later in life. Definitely an inspiration.

victory4angela said...

We have our next celebrity death: British actress Mollie Sugden died on Wednesday. She played Mrs. Slocombe on "Are You Being Served". I love that show.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090702/people_nm/us_britain_sugden

FirePhrase said...

Noooooo! So soon after Miss Braums. Oh, just terrible. Well, she did live a wonderful life. And I am unanimous in this.

WashingtonGardener said...

well these last few ar not spring chicks we are talking about so not big surprises like BIlly Mays or MJ

BTW deaths always cluster around holidays and birthdays.

FirePhrase said...

Did you look at the news on Billy Mays and automatically think congenital heart condition? There was just something about him that said heart problem.

Michael I think is going to turn into a Marilyn Monroe death conspiracy thing. Doesn't matter how many autopsies they do, somebody isn't going to believe it.

TIME: Quotes of the Day