Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Who says a cucumber's always cool?

I was reading a description of a cocktail in a New York Times article that sounded kind of intriguing. But the bartender didn't share his recipe - selfish bastard. But given the flavor profile, I thought this might be a winner for a friend of mine. So I worked out my own version, and I'll have to say it's darned good. You may not believe me given the ingredients, but trust your friendly bartender. Tasty.

Note: I've tried this with varying levels of jalepeno. 1 slice is zippy, 2 is tingly, 3 is quite zingy. Good to know your audience before you start shaking.

Cool to Hot

6 slices of cucumber (seeds removed), plus one extra thin slice for garnish.
Half a lime, juiced
1 - 3 slices of fresh jalepeno (seeds removed)
1 1/2 oz blanco or sliver tequila

In a cocktail shaker, muddle cucumber, lime and jalepeno. Add ice and tequila, shake till frosty. Strain into a martini glass. Float remaining thin cucumber slice.

2 comments:

momo said...

I saw this same, or similar, recipe. In the Quick I think ... sounded yummy.

FirePhrase said...

I saw that too. This recipe is an amalgam of about 6 cocktails I found on the internet (Food Network, Webtender, etc.). I think the one in Quick put in simple syrup or Cointreau. Something sweet. Which I thought would blow the cucumber flavor. I also went about double on the lime juice. I'm working on a version that will replace the jalepeno with something else for the faint of heart. Maybe basil? Cilantro? Or possibly just a dash of salt. I'll keep working on it. I'm a slave to my research.

TIME: Quotes of the Day