Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Not to harp on this, but.

Okay, the MyLife e-mail I get today has the subject line "Julie, See Who's Still Popular from Your High School".

Does the word "bluh" mean anything to you? What are we? 17? This is my biggest problem with most social networking sites: eventually they seem to devolve into dragging people back into that same old popularity contest that I was overjoyed to leave behind. Thank you. One of the few things I actually got around to doing in the last 20+ years was growing up. Don't care who'd be elected Prom Queen if they had a re-election today.

Really, other than the small minority who I do keep up with (and it is very small) there's only 3 things I want to know about the people I went to high school with (to paraphrase Stephen King) - who got fat, who got bald and how many of God's little children got wings. Where's that e-mail?

2 comments:

victory4angela said...

It's ME!! I'm still the most popular...oh wait, I wasn't in that group. Darn. :)

I went to the 10th reunion and there's not a lot to report. Some people got fat and some remained gloriously skinny and beautiful (b****es!) I missed the 20th, as you know, thanks to a little tumor who set me back a bit. I don't think it matters too much at 20 because all of us have changed one way or the other. It would have been nice, though, to seem some of the pretty boys balding as they edged near 40.

FirePhrase said...

I'd have no idea who was who for most of them. Then all I'd have for reference is myself - "Aged better than her, not as good as him, better than him, not as good as her." Doesn't that just make me sound like a delightful human being?

And I think the only thing would make me really bite for a reunion was if there was one big ugly-duckling turned swan story of somebody who was a high school reject made good. Now that's worth seeing. But all the other ugly-ducklings are probably like me and too bitter to show up.

TIME: Quotes of the Day