Thursday, June 18, 2009

Doesn't Bug Me

Watching the footage of the Pres swat a fly in the middle of an interview brought to mind one of the great ironies of life - those who are not wigged out by bugs are the ones who have the easiest time getting rid of them. Like BHO, I'm not bothered at all by the creepy crawlies (slithery slimies, totally different story). So, I have not issues with whacking them with my bare hands, or even picking them up and tossing them out a door or down the toilet. Flies, crickets, cockroaches, whatevah. Doesn't phase me.

Which leads my friends, the majority of them who are waaaaayy bug phobic, to call me to come obliterate the giant hair spider or pick up the dead roach that's laying in the middle of the kitchen. And, more irony, they give me that reluctant "thank you but you are totally grossing me out" look as I pick up the buggy and head to the nearest trashcan. Nice expression for the person who's saving your ass. Much like Kwai Chang Caine. It is the plight of the warrior to be misunderstood.

If you've got a slug in your house, you are on your own. Yee-uh. I may be a warrior, but those things are disgusting.

4 comments:

momo said...

I got your back with the slugs!

FirePhrase said...

Actually, I'd be the one who has your back, as I try to jump behind you and climb on you piggyback and scream like a baby. "Eww! Eww! Slug! Save me!"

WashingtonGardener said...

as long as I have a glove on or a baggie/tissue - I can "touch" any bug or slug -- I may squeal and whine a bit as I do it though. Mosquitos though I take pleasure it slapping those MoFos bare-handed and frequently.

FirePhrase said...

They are nogoodniks aren't they?

I can dispose of a slug when necessary (with appropriate hand protection). But my normal instant reaction to them is a combination shudder/leap in the opposite direction. Imagine my horror when I found a slug in my downstairs bathroom. I figure he caught a ride on someone's shoe. Bad mistake on his part, because he ended up taking a cruise on the Good Ship Tidy Bowl.

TIME: Quotes of the Day