Thursday, May 28, 2009

A malfunctioning BS detector

I thought for sure this was a prank. That somebody was goofing on me. I mean first, there was Brooke Shields in it. And she’d done those commercials about having babies just so that you can buy a fancy car. She does deadpan well. I thought she was just jerking our collective chains again.

And I mean the product – a prescription treatment for stumpy eyelashes. Or as they put it “inadequate or insufficient lashes.” Oh, yeah. Nothing snotty about that at all. But if you have “inadequate lashes” there’s this stuff called “mascara.” Been around forever. Or eyeliner, which as been around since before forever (Cleopatra, anyone?). Or extensions (weird, but true). Or dyeing. All sorts of things that aren’t medical intervention. So, it must be Brooke goofing on me again.

But apparently . . . http://www.latisse.com/Default.aspx?return=true

F’reals. It looks like it’s totally true. With a diagnosis (“hypotrichosis”) and clinical studies and FDA approval and everything. Oh, and adverse reactions, too. Like “Most common adverse events (incidence approximately 3% - 4%) are eye pruritus [that’s itching], conjunctival hyperemia [bloodshot], and skin hyperpigmentation.”

Okay, while this isn’t quite as bizarre as injecting a toxin into your head, or putting foreign objects in your boobs, this just seems to be a slight overreaction to what is, in my truly humble opinion, a very minor flaw. Like buying a lion because you have a mouse problem.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I saw that commercial and watched every secind without blinking - fascinating - the side effects though - ugh. I knew lashes were the newest fetish - but really is this an actual "problem" that needs medical intervention??!!

I have long lashes, but blonde so now the miracle of a good mascara coat.

FirePhrase said...

The more I see that commercial, the more I notice that they are really making scanty eyelashes sound like a flaw next door to having a cleft palate. They take that "focus on your best feature" and flip it on its ear. Focus on your worst feature until you blow it out of all proportion, and are willing to do anything to fix it. Guess which of those two philosophies costs money.

TIME: Quotes of the Day