Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Flying Dervish

Well, it was one of those long weekends where I was too busy, got nothing accomplished, ran around like a mad thing, then at the end, when I added it all up, got more done than I expected.

Part of it is that I ran out to my parents house to get it ready for them coming home. They've been out taking care of my brother's family with the new baby (young Cameron, who I mentally call Cam-a-ROON, thanks, RuPaul). So they've spent months taking care of others, and I'm sure they're just exhausted (though they'd never complain). So, my sister, my friend T, and I all went out to get the yard spruced up, the house aired and the refrigerator cleaned out. Luckily, T knows her way around the garden, so I just let her tell me which to pull, what to cut and what goes in which bed. And my sister gets a certain amount of joy from throwing away expired food items. So basically, all I had to do was follow orders.

I also got my re-fitted pantry painted out. It was this yellowy-beigey-creamy color that never looked completely clean. So, while everything was out, I slapped a nice coat of bright white Kilz. It looks so nice and fresh. It's amazing how cheery a spotless pantry can make you feel. I still need to reinstall my wire pantry drawers, but I feel more like I'm on the way.

And on Sunday night I went to see Lost In the Stars over at Theatre Three. The style wasn't really my taste. I like a big show tune and a little bit of hoofing. This was serious, dramatic, real art kind of a musical. And the lyrics were close to opera in their complexity. Except for three songs (the title number, a naughty ditty about fruit and something called Big Mole), they weren't anything that I'd hum. But I did like the show. I'm a huge sucker for a redemption story. And one of the youngest actors was absolutely FANTASTIC. He sang that Big Mole song like he was the second coming of Ben Vereen. I couldn't have been more impressed.

And I did a big cookout over at T's house. Surf and turf, with fruit tart for dessert. Actually, all I contributed to that was an empty stomach. I owe T big for everything she did over this weekend.

And sprinkled in there was a little shopping, cleaning out my own refrigerator, a few hours at work, building an ark, hammering out a Middle East peace treaty and curing Swine Flu. Busy, busy, busy. Okay. Maybe I didn't get as much accomplished as all that. But still. Not bad for getting nothing done.

No comments:

TIME: Quotes of the Day