Thursday, April 2, 2009

Grab a hankie

I watched soap operas once upon a time. And my recollection of when I stopped is kind of vague, but I’m guessing it was in college. But I have to say, that the news that The Guiding Light has been cancelled is kind of a bummer. Kind of like hearing that the last drive-in movie theater in town has closed. Sure I hadn’t made it there in awhile, but it was part of my history that I kind of liked knowing was still there. I guess not many people had made it back to Springfield for a long while.

I think I saw that there are only 6 surviving daytime soaps. Which means that a lot of them have shut down over the years.

I kind of started wondering, what if you did what they do with old rock bands: Take the key players who want to get back out on the road and make a super group. Like a Super Soap. They all move into the same anonymous small town, near some metropolis (only known as “The City:). Luke and Laura. Erica Kane. Hope and Beau. Marlena and John and Tom. Opal Gardner. Josh and Reba. All the vixens, super couples, villains and disaster magnets. All of them causing trouble, swapping spouses, dying, resurrecting, coming in and out of comas, discovering evil twins, having mental breakdowns and generally wreaking havoc. They could call it The Bold Edge of General Hope of Light and Passion in the Days or Our Children’s World.

4 comments:

victory4angela said...

Noooooo! Not that I watched any soaps since 1994 or so, but I spent many hours in HS watching GL (and Days - during summer vacay) wondering if Beth and Phillip would get together. When they ran away to NYC to escape from her evil step-dad, it was so romantic to my 15 year-old self.

Sniffle. Memories.

FirePhrase said...

I remember the Lewis men all drank bourbon and branch. To this day, I have no idea what branch is. But it sounded very romantic when I was 15 too.

I watched GL, but I was really a Santa Barbara girl. But that one bit the dust long ago. I still get a little misty whenever I see A. Martinez.

WashingtonGardener said...

I never watched GL so no sweating over it for me - but I do know this is a BAD sign for the ecominy as daytime TV pays for the rest of TV -- and that means if daytime is not doing well, there are more serious problems coming.

FirePhrase said...

They ought to look into doing soap opera podcasts. Since the rise of the podcast, people are more used to listening to programming than they were 10 years ago. They'd be cheap to record, and would have an automatic revenue stream from downloads. It would bring back old "radio theater". Garrison Keillor has been doing it for years. And think of all the jobs it would create for foley artists.

TIME: Quotes of the Day