Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And so it begins

Well, Contractor Steve has started working, with his trusty assistant Oscar, on the disaster that is my half bath.

Steve’s a pretty cool guy. True Texas. Not in that big buckles and yeehaw kind of way. The real kind. He’s tall, but stoops to not be intimidating. He’s soft spoken, but straight talking. His hair is still military short. He’s proud that he and his wife are celebrating a 23 year anniversary this week. And even though he’s about as white bread looking as they come, he speaks street Spanish like a good Tejano. Handy thing for a contractor.

He’s been running numbers, and he thinks he can get my kitchen counter done for me as well as the bathroom. Sweet. Like everybody, I’m nervous about the economy. But I’m just going to bite the bullet and consider this my part of the stimulus effort. You’re welcome, Mr. Obama. And it’s an investment in my home. Bathrooms and kitchens, right? That’s where they say to put the money.

But I am getting kind of antsy on the old “taste level” question. Since I’m having all this work done, should I just make it “tasteful” and pretty? Or should I go for something fun and funky? Funky is more my personality. But it’s not exactly good for the resale value. I’m leaning towards a kicky bathroom and a boring kitchen. At least with the bathroom, I know I can make it boring very quickly, should I ever need to sell fast. I just keep thinking back to all those houses that I saw when I was looking, and thought “Geez, people. Just because there are 1,476 shades of Glidden doesn’t mean you should use them all.” And it just makes me want to punk out and paint everything in eggshell, ecru and taupe. Yawn.

Anyhoo. They’re cutting into the walls as I type. By tomorrow I should a really scary picture to post.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Go for fun & funky! It is YOU who has to live there and would you want to sell your place one day to a boring old stodgy clod or someone cool & hip like yourself?

FirePhrase said...

I'll take a stodgy buyer with rodeo dough over a hipster with empty pockets if I'm trying to sell a house, know what I mean? But one of the reason I bought was that I'm tired to death of moving. And I hope to grow some roots. And, as you say, I'm the one who will live there. I just won't do anything funky yet not unfunkable.

victory4angela said...

Just go for fun and funky that won't bore you in 5 years. Maybe something more traditional for fixtures, counters, etc. but funky wall color or knobs? Those can easily be modified later. Fun and funky in the accessories.

FirePhrase said...

If could figure out what won't bore my after five years, I'd be married. Ooops. Was that the outside voice? At least if I get bored with my crazy bathroom, it won't take legal action to change it up. "I'm sorry, honey. I've been seeing another sink."

TIME: Quotes of the Day