Thursday, March 5, 2009



I’ve got some left over time off from last year that I have to use up. So I’ve decided that I’m going to take care of a few home improvement projects that I’ve been putting off.

Biggest on the list is covering up the wallpaper in my bathrooms, entry and kitchen. They’re all in varying levels of aesthetic offensiveness – from just meh to outright heinous. All making my eyes sore. And unfortunately, they papered over the drywall, so the stripping option isn’t really open to me. I know I’m not up to repairing drywall if I screw up. So, it seems the best option is to use a good oil based primer and just cover the lot.

If I get really ambitious, I’ve decided that I’m going to re-do the downstairs bathroom. I’ve done a lot of thinking, and I think I’m going to trick it out Rosie the Riveter style. I have this great poster that I got at the Smithsonian to use as inspiration. I want to play up the red and blue. My ultimate would be to find a red or blue vanity top to use. But, I could work with white, and then paint the cabinet doors instead. I’m also going to try to build a towel holder out of pipe. I’ve also seen people use wrenches as cabinet hardware.

And the theme may solve a problem I’ve had with that bathroom since day one. It’s got a mirror that goes all the way down to the edge of the sink backsplash. Which isn’t really a problem unless, as in my situation, your toilet faces the sink. At really close quarters. I find it odd to watch myself pee. So I find myself kind of trying to casually ignore myself in the mirror. Which ends up being very uncomfortable in an oddly existential way. So when my cohort at work came up with the idea of using diamond plate in there like you see at construction sites, I thought maybe I could use it as the new backsplash. Get a wide strip and run it along the edge of the vanity, and it would block “the view”. Stylish and clever, I must say.

Okay, now I’m just excited. The other bathrooms and kitchen may have to wait. I think I’m just going to move the bathroom up to the head of the priority list. I’m just having way too much fun planning this out to wait.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

A friend of mine has a UVA themed guest bath in bright blue and orange - very similar to the Rosie colors - it is very cool and I think yours sure turn out well also -- post pics!

FirePhrase said...

Lucky her to have an alma mater that is decorator friendly. I love my ASU, but a maroon and gold Sun Devil's bathroom might be a bit much for guests.

I'll post pics as it comes along. Good or bad. Thank goodness it's a tiny room. If I screw it up, it won't take long to cover it all up.

momo said...

I'm SO impressed that you are going to do this yourself ... especially the plumbing part, let alone tearing apart the vanity and hauling it off! Can't wait to see the pics.

FirePhrase said...

Hey, you saw the picture. We can do it! Or actually - Me can do it!

TIME: Quotes of the Day