Friday, March 20, 2009

Counter-Programming

Incongruous but true, I spent my St. Pat’s evening at a meditation class hosted by a local Buddhist group. I know it sounds kind of odd for a Guinness lover like me to be hanging out at a “dry” vegetarian restaurant, clearing my mind on the biggest Mick holiday of the year. But, frankly, if you need St. Patrick to nudge you into a pint, you’re not much of a Guinness lover. I find that any day ending in “y” is quite sufficient as a special occasion, thank you very much.

And I like to try something new on occasion. So why not a little of the meditation? Oh, yeah. Because I suck at being quiet. About 5 minutes into the first relaxation dealie, I got to a point where I had this nearly irrepressible urge to run around the room waving my hands in the air and screaming. I controlled myself only because I thought that might be distracting for the people who actually seemed to be getting it. It’s that "quite contrary" thing. Tell me to be still, and I want to start a conga line. Tell me to clear my head and I start hearing the Gilligan's Island theme. Conversely, when I’m in crisis mode, and my brain should be on overdrive, I get this Matrix like thing – everything slows down and becomes crystal clear. Ridiculous, really. Now if they had meditation classes in the ER, I might be able to make that work.

Then after some good discussion about reincarnation (in which I barely restrained myself from theorizing that in the context of a multidimensional universe, we live many existences simultaneously, but due to the linear nature of time, we only experience them sequentially – I thought it might be a conversation killer), and another round of meditation (sit right back and you’ll hear a tale), we headed downstairs for some dinner at the Cosmic Café, which as it sounds is the local hippie haven for global inflected vegetarian food with kitschy-cute names like the Dharma Bell (stuffed bell pepper) and the Socrates Plato.

And I guess you can add one more to the list of religious figures that kind of weird me out. I have no idea why, but I find myself under this weird pressure, not necessarily to be good per se, but more to not be bad. Pastors, priests, rabbis, and now monks. I spent the entire meal giving the poor monk the bug eye every time he tried to say something pleasant. I was watching my mouth so hard that I was practically going cross-eyed. I totally get they are normal human beings with, lets just say it, abnormal jobs. They dedicate their lives to something I spend most of my life avoiding - religion. I don’t actually think that they are some sort of hot house flowers that will expire if I drop the F-bomb. But still. You don’t want to be a big old heathen. Actually, I do want to be a big old heathen. I just don’t want to upset the nice religious person by acting like one in front of them. It would be impolite. I may be a heathen. But I do have manners.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I havea bout a 2-minute max before my mind starts wandering during meditation - but my teachers are good about announcing right at that moment - "If you feel your thoughts drifting, note it, then come back." No blame no recriminations. But how do they KNOW that is just when I started making my laundry list or deciding what to eat for dinner?

FirePhrase said...

The friend who took me to the class said the monks at her temple have an uncanny way of saying the right thing to her at the right time during meditation. One of those "get out of my head!" things.

TIME: Quotes of the Day