Thursday, March 19, 2009

All in all, it's just another rip in the wall

Well, in theory, I was going to spend the extra-long vacation weekend knee-deep in wallpaper shreds, paint and plaster. Mmmm. No such luck. Friday night, I decide to just get a tiny jump on the wallpaper removal, and peeled back a layer. Only to find that the drywall behind it started to flake off in chunks. Soggy chunks. Soggy, flakey, disintegrating chunks. Well, that can’t be good.

So, I had to wait until Monday to call my HOA. Since I live in a condo, this kind of problem lives in the shady/gray area of what’s mine, what’s theirs and what’s my neighbors. If it’s my plumbing, it’s mine. If it’s a roof leak, it’s theirs. If it’s my neighbors plumbing, I’m screwed. The neighboring place was repossessed about 6 months ago, and has been on the market just about ever since. And I’m thinking that a bank is going to be slightly unresponsive to my needs not to have a rotting bathroom wall.

Any way, they sent out the condo handyman (who, please note, showed up at 5 pm on the last day of my long weekend) and he said he’s betting it’s a plumbing issue. Of course he is. But regardless, I’m going to need to get my own person to take a look by cutting a hole in the drywall and ceiling and looking in the gap. Slightly beyond my handygal capacity. Luckily, I’ve got a referral of a reliable guy. But still, the delay in my gratification is kind of irritating. Actually, a lot irritating.

So, that’s where the big “houseworking vacation” ended up. A little sound, a little fury, and a whole lot of nothing accomplished.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Ahh, you can't say though that you were surprised - you just HADto pull pack that wallpaper didn;t you? Huh? Didn't you? You couldn't just leave it alone and live in blissful, uncoordinated but ignorant bliss? ;-)

FirePhrase said...

The urge to pick at it. I know. But ghastly wallpaper in the bathroom is a nasty trick to play on guests. I'd think they'd have been so frightened by it they'd have trouble peeing.

TIME: Quotes of the Day