Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Taxing my brain

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090203/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_killefer

This is just starting to bug the peewalkerdoo (pardon my language) out of me. What is this, the 3rd Obama nominee to be called out for tax problems? Crimeny. You're in public service and make enough money to hire household help. Get a freaking accountant. It's like movie stars who could afford to get a limo, but insist on driving around plastered. There are people who can do that for you.

It bugs me almost as much as those commercials for some tax lawyer where some gumby says "I owed $100,000 to the IRS, but I paid only cents on the dollar. Thanks, Dewey Cheatham!" grrrrrr. Because, in all those years that you were skating, I was paying cents on the dollar to Uncle Sam, too. 100 cents on the dollar.

I'd have liked to have been running around spending the government's money too. But you know what I like more? An adequately supplied military. Bridges that don't collapse. Levies that don't wash away. Kids getting a good education. You know. Luxuries.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

It makes you think - who IS paying their taxes correctly? Even WITH an accountant to do my small biz stuff, I'm still scared something got mistaken or overlooked. We need tax reform and we need it badly - as evidenced by these (I assume) otherwise intelligent people.

FirePhrase said...

Oh, I know. I do my best. But at some point I have to hope that the fact that an audit would probably cost the IRS more than my entire annual salary is some form of deterant. Of course, they might just audit me for kicks.

I just kind of hoped that the people potentially assisting the POTUS were a little smarter about money than me.

TIME: Quotes of the Day