Friday, February 6, 2009

The Sure Thing

January and February are notorious for being a movie graveyard. If a movie comes out around now, odds are better than average that it will suck, and suck hard (Coraline being the exception that proves the rule, IhopeIhopeIhope). And even if it's not a total vortex, it will be a really flawed movie that is saved by a good cast.

And that's actually, kind of fine with me. I don't really want something irresistable tempting me to leave my warm homey-of-me-ownie in the dead of winter. What I really want to do is put on my oldest shirt, my rattiest sweat pants and a fresh pair of tube socks, and to sprawl on my couch under my favorite quilt and watch my comfort DVDs. Just have all my favorites piled up and throw them in the player, knowing I'll be happy.

Cause I have a bunch of go-to, surefire, could watch them a million times movies. I can throw in Pride & Prejudice (Knightly/McFayden version, bien sur) and I will sigh every time when Mr. Darcy comes striding through the fog. I can put in the 13th Warrior and get goosebumps during the scene where Antonio Banderas is sitting at the fire and slowly starts to understand the Vikings' language. I can put in When Harry Met Sally and say "You're right. You're right. I know you're right." and "Mr. Zero knew." on cue, every time. I want the Shawshank Redemption, and Andy Dufresne standing in the rain letting those years of prison wash away.

And it's not just laziness. If it was just that, I'd turn on Lifetime and not have to go through the monstrous inconvenience of having to get off the couch to change the disc. What I desire is certainty. To know that, without a doubt, I will enjoy myself. I want comfort food films. Not new. Not novel. Even the best acted, most dazzlingly shot and best scripted movie wouldn't satisfy the way that familiar does at this time of year. Let the new come with the spring.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

See I keep THINKING I should watch 13th Warrior as it looks so tempting late night on SciFi and would seem to be up my alley - but then I avoid it after reading the 2 stars (or less) reviews. On your word though, I may have to give it a chance

FirePhrase said...

I think you'd like it. I originally saw it with my sister on opening night. I think we were the only chicks in the entire theater. It's smarter than your average sword flick (though there's plenty of balls out sword fighting too). 2 stars? Really. I had a ton of fun. And that's an automatic 3+ for me.

TIME: Quotes of the Day