Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Really Bad Marketing Plan

I think they're marketing the movie Coraline specifically to me. Personally. Like the only person they really want to show up is me.

First of all, 3D animation. LOVE it. Would come right after whiskers on kittens, if I was a singing nun enumerating my favorite things. Maybe it's the dazzling images. Or maybe it's just the socially acceptable excuse to wear nerd glasses.

Second, I'm watching IFC last night, and they have a promo about Coraline featuring a woman who hand knitted the stop-motion Coraline's sweaters. Hand knitted. On little tiny needles made out of straight pins. She wears real sweaters. With stars on them. Oh. My.

But really, they don't need to try so hard. Coraline is based on a book by Neil Gaiman. One of my favorite authors. His American Gods is my first or second favorite book in the world (He and Jane Austen have these really loud arguments in my head over who gets to be my favorite. But then they forgive each other and make out. Which is kind of weird). Plus, Coraline is this book that I was really glad wasn't written until I was an adult. Because if I had read it as a kid, I would never have slept again. Ever. I would have been that freaked out. But in a good way.

So, settle down, you crazy movie marketing people. Put down the net. I'm already in the boat.

5 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Coraline had the BEST ad in the WaPo Food section yestersay - a recipe for VDay choc-covered beetles -- it was priceless - they definitely know their marketing stuff.

I'm STILL mad at Burton over "Planet of the Apes" but I may have to break down and see this in the theater.

FirePhrase said...

Not 100% sure, but I think when they are referring to Nightmare Before Christmas they're only talking about Henry Selick - I haven't found any Tim Burton connection on Coraline, unless he's producing or something. So you may very well be able to see it and maintain your mad.

Mmmm. Chocolate covered beetles . . .

momo said...

Knitting ... with straight pins ... really ?!?!?! Just how much costume budget did they have for this thing?!

FirePhrase said...

Seriously! She said it took her 6 months to design and knit one of her itty-bitty sweaters. I was impressed. Unclear on what other applications this skill might have. But impressed.

WashingtonGardener said...

You are right! I checked IMDB just now and it is Tim Burton-free - Woo Hoo!

TIME: Quotes of the Day