Friday, February 27, 2009

Not feelin' it

I'm kinda bummed. They changed one of my favorite radio channels from an R&B/dance mix to a Spanish channel. Like most changes that they know are going to piss off the great majority of the current listening audience, there was no warning. I just woke up one morning to the strains of Spanish language pop. Which almost always sounds like bad 80s pop to me. I was not amused.

The reason I liked the old Movin' station was that it actually got me Movin' in the morning. They'd play from P-Funk to Prince and from Beastie Boys to Beyonce. I need something that gets my groove thang going in the morning.

And finding a subsitute has been tough. A lot of radio channels have gone Spanish here lately. And there's always a stong country contingent. But that ain't gonna happen. And definitely no talk. Radio talk is divided into 2 categories: feel good gab where everybody agrees with everybody cause we're all just great, or antagonistic, in-your-face, you're wrong and I'm going to tell you why shouting. And it's all so much blather to me.

That leaves your basic adult contemporary, current pop hits and hip-hop. Adult contemporary is more of an afternoon/evening thing for me. Pop is okay, but I run the risk of hearing a Nickel Back song, and I just can't start my day that pissed off. And I've never been a hip-hop gal. White boys have Eminem and Vanilla Ice as their standard bearers in hip-hop. The white woman's place in hip-hop can be summed up with "Oh, my god, Becky. Look at her butt." You know it's true.

So, I'm fumbling around scanning the dial in the morning. Just hoping that I'll find something that fits. My thang hasn't been properly groovy in at least a week.

4 comments:

victory4angela said...

They did the same thing here a few years ago - changed alternative rock station 99.1 WHFS to El Zol. Lots of people were shocked and bummed. HFS used to sponsor the huge HFS-tival at JFK stadium and we "chaperoned" my cousin one time and saw Gwen Stefani and No Doubt before they were big and a ton of other people. It's still sad that it's gone.

FirePhrase said...

I used to listen to an alternative station in Phoenix called the Zone. They'd have small alternative acts come into the studio and do an acoustic version of one of their songs. Then they'd compile those into a charity album every year. No Doubt, Dave Matthews, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, the Gin Blossoms, the Flys, Eagle Eye Cherry, Lifehouse, Everclear. One morning I woke up and they had turned it into a top 40 station. I bawled and bawled. If you ever see a KZON Collectibles CD in a re-sale store, grab it. It's practically a holy relic.

WashingtonGardener said...

Radio is dead and dying in many towns - try to pick up your local Pirate Radio stations (100 watts or less) - I bet you have many in Dallas.

FirePhrase said...

We have low band stations, but most of them are stations maintained by local school districts. My favorite is KMEO out of Garland. They play 70s hits, from the Stones to Glen Campbell to Lou Rawls. You can tell some of the spots are done by the students. But there's one guy who is probably a teacher, because he's been on for as long as I've lived here, who sounds just like the teacher on South Park. Makes me giggle.

I've been wondering if there's anything worht listening to on those HD channels I keep hearing advertised. But at this point a new radio would probably cost more than my whole truck is worth.

TIME: Quotes of the Day