Thursday, February 26, 2009

All in favor?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/fashion/26CODES.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=style

If this is the new trend, I'm going to have to say "here, here!" I've always been a fan of the nicely formed male touchus. And if men are going to stop wearing pants that make them look like they're smuggling ham sandwiches in their back pockets, I think that's the best news I've heard in a long time. It's been a crying shame for years that the only men with pants that fit in the backside were gay men.

I've wondered for a long time if they just don't have 3-way mirrors in the men's dressing room. Actually, I worked retail in college. I know for a fact that they have 3-way mirrors in there, but men just ignore them. (I also know for a fact that men don't just try on clothes in there, but that's a story for another day.)

And I've never quite bought the "baggy drawers are more comfortable" argument. While the looser is more comfy axiom is often true, at a certain point all that extra fabric flopping around back there has to be uncomfortable, as well as unsightly.

And it's not just that I like the visual aspects of a man who takes care of business in the backfield. I also think that if they have to find pants that fit in the ass, they might develop a little more understanding and sympathy for women. Fitting curves is harder. That's why it takes us so long to shop. And men, for the most part, only have one curve to fit. We got all sorts to accommodate. Try walking in our britches for awhile.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Amen - this is why I love the 70s - pants fit men then - just rent Sat Night Fever or Serpico or any others ofthat era and check it out - men looked tight and right.

FirePhrase said...

Men were much more peacock-ish back in the 70s. Had a greater appreciation for a good set of tail feathers.

TIME: Quotes of the Day