Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Can't say I didn't put in the effort

So I can say that I made the most of my Mardi Gras. I'm well and truly buttressed for Lent.

On Sunday, I went to a friend's house for a shrimp boil. While we were preparing the feast (and I do mean feast: shrimp, potatoes, corn on the cob, andouille and cippollini onions as boiled in ass kickin spice - yuuuum yum!), the hostess was playing a New Orleans jazz channel on the cable tv. I tried to restrain myself from dancing around the kitchen (not the greatest thing with a paring knife in your hand), but when we got to Lay Off A My Toot-Toot, it was pretty much a moral imperative to boogie my butt around the room. I remember that song from when I was a kid. When you're 6, any song that has the word Toot-Toot in it is comedy gold. Right up there with My Ding-A-Ling. Music, dancing, refreshing, beverages, and lots of food. What more could a girl want? Well, other than a few throws. But no matter how many times I flashed my friends, they wouldn't throw many any beads. Pikers.

But try as we might (and we tried really hard), we still had a pound of shrimps left over. What to do? Re-convene on the vrais Mardi Gras for shrimp and grits. And while I'll grant sitting around the table shooting the breeze and drinking beer is not as wild and crazy as some Fat Tuesday celebrations, it was pretty dang good for me.

So, hopefully I got all my ya-yas out and am ready to be good straight up to Easter. Yep. No problem.

3 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I feel my childhood has a big hole in it as I never heard that Toot-Toot song - but boy I would have loved it!

victory4angela said...

Ooh, that sounds like so much FUN (except for the shrimp part!) I want to boogie around someone's kitchen making mardi gras food. Sigh, my adulthood has a big hole in it.

FirePhrase said...

WG - My advice would be to put on your best Garanimals and get thee to youtube. There has to be at least on band playing My Toot-Toot on there. Then you can dance around the living room to your hearts content. It's never too late to toot-toot.

V4A - I'd count it as a personal tragedy if you don't get out there and get yourself some boogie. You can crash my Mardi Gras any time. I'll even eat your shrimp for you.

TIME: Quotes of the Day