Friday, February 13, 2009

Always room for 8 more.

Back on the octuplets mom. I saw this interview with Nadya Suleman, where she said she was basically damaged by being an only child. That it left her with a permanent void that could only be filled with lots of sweet little babies. (Personally, I think the only void she has is between her ears, but that's another story.) Apparently, she found being the only kid very dysfunctional.

And this is something I've heard from more than one other perfectly normal seeming person. They want 7 or 8 kids because they were an only child and it was lonely, and it's better to have a house full of kids and love, and always have somebody to play with. It's never they want 3 or 4. They always seem to want to push double-digits. You have to wonder if the little old woman who lived in a shoe was an only child.

Of course for every only who's out there looking at their friends with sibs with envy, there's a kid wearing hand-me-downs and sharing a room who is wishing all these people would just go away. There are kids from even small families who think being an only would be perfection. No having to share your Easy Bake or wait in line for the bathroom. And most kids with brothers and sisters know that you only play with your siblings as a last resort. So they grow up to have 1 and tell them the kids she is soooo lucky - she'll never have to share their parents with anyone. And then the parents look bewildered when their only little dumpling says they can't wait to grow up and have enough kids to do their own production of Cheaper By the Dozen.

If the pendulum swings back and forth like that, you have to wonder if Nadya Suleman's kids will be frequent fliers at Planned Parenthood by the time they hit 16.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

The grass is always greener -- I used to envy Onlies cause they got the parents ALL to themselves, all the Xmas gifts, etc. But really is THAT an excuse for wanting to bust our planet's ecosystem? Reproduce yourselves (if you must) but try to keep it one kid per adult.

FirePhrase said...

I had completely missed that angle. You're totally right. She's not just a wingnut. She's eco-unfriendly.

victory4angela said...

I didn't mind my brother - he took some of the blame when things got broken or mishaps happened (although he probably caused more problems than me!)

That chick just bothers me to no end. How can she possibly support 14 children with no job, no home, no one to share the workload (even her mom bailed)? I just think she and her doctor were both completely irresponsible to even let her use in vitro. Ugh. He just did it to take the money.

FirePhrase said...

I never got away with blaming my sibs. My Moms had some kinda freaky "who did it" radar.

I have to assume that the baby doc was just greedy and not whacko. The weird thing is that I don't even think octo-mom is even aware of how whackadoodle she is. She just doesn't seem to have any awareness that she's done anything even remotely questionable.

TIME: Quotes of the Day