Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Peanut Butter Crisis

I think the salmonella peanut butter crisis may be one of the biggest tainted food scandals yet. Bigger than the spinach. Bigger than tomatoes. Way bigger than jalepenos. Because those are all vegetables. And nobody really likes vegetables. Vegetables are a delivery system for butter, sour cream, dressing and cheese sauce. And if your broccoli has cooties, that's just an excuse to eat cheese sauce straight out of the pan.

And speaking of things straight out of things, eating peanut butter straight out of the jar is high risk behavior. I mean if Eddie's Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies are on the list, can anything really be safe? And it's not like vegetables. Peanut butter has fans. Me being one. And specifically, a fan of peanut butter crackers. The toasty ones. Not the cheese and peanut butter. Those are weird. But the ones that are kind of like peanut butter on Ritz.

I've got two boxes of delicious Market Pantry peanut butter crackers that I've been circling like they might be attached to a trip wire. Market Pantry hasn't been on the FDA list, but that list just keeps on growing. But I won't throw them out. Because I like them. And I'm cheap. Of course, I won't eat them right now either. But I've got time to wait it out. Those crackers never go bad.

5 comments:

victory4angela said...

Seriously, what about my beloved Girl Scout cookies? I just placed an order a couple of weeks ago for the Tag-a-longs and Do-si-dos. What if those are tainted too?? That could cause even more panic!

FirePhrase said...

I totally understand your concern. What if people weren't able to get their fix because the Girl Scouts were selling Cookies of DEATH. But never fear. Girls Scouts of the USA have posted this:
http://www.girlscouts.org/news/news_releases/2009/girl_scout_cookies.asp
Fwwooo.

victory4angela said...

Fron the Girl Scouts..."All ingredients used in Girl Scout Cookies are regularly inspected to ensure they are safe for consumption."

Of course they do because the Girl Scouts are always prepared (or is that the Boy Scouts?). Anyway, LET THEM EAT GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!

WashingtonGardener said...

I'm not a big PB fan - but I like to have quick meal substitutes on hand that I can grab and go and PB crackers fit the bill nicely - did buy 4 packs of Austin crackers I bought in Dec - I ate one - and yep, they are on the list now :-(

I think this scare is good though - it shows better how local sourcing and buying direct gives you more safety and direct control of what you are eatting.

BTW Lance PB crackers are A-OK - they have their own growers and factory in NC - they are not part of this GA plant recall.

I'm MUCH more bitter over the pet food melamine and baby food thing - that was deliberate murder in my book.

FirePhrase said...

And that the melamine in the baby formula was deliberate, not just the result of carelessness, which appears to be the case with the peanut butter. They endangered all those kids just to make a buck. This is why one friend is at this moment plotting a way to turn her backyard into a farm. The grocery store is starting to be one scary place.

TIME: Quotes of the Day