Thursday, January 29, 2009

A frosty reception



Brrrr. At least for the next 2 or 3 hours (we'll have a high of 50 this afternoon, from a morning low of 25). We had freezing rain in Dallas yesterday morning, that really gunked up the traffic system, but by afternoon most of it had melted so the afternoon trip home was fairly uneventful.

But then something wonderous happened . . .

Okay, not wonderous. But kinda neat. All the ambient moisture from the evaporation re-froze overnight. Like frozen fog. And it coated all the vegetation in this frosty/sparkly glaze. Not the streets, thank the Traffic Gods. But the trees, grass and bushes all had this ghostly white cast. Some of the wispier native grasses in landscapes looked like they'd shatter at a touch, and I even saw yucca plants covered in frost. I couldn't find much that I could snap from the sidewalk, but here's a couple of pics to share a little frost with you:








Generally, I'm anti-Winter Wonderland. Cold? No, tanks. But even I have to admit it was real purty.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Ooh I love the frosty pics.

I saw the CUTEST thing ever and had no camera last week - we had ice everywhere - and I trudged out to return a library DVD - on the way I passed a Starling who sat down then slid on his tail feathers down a 10-inch ice mound onto the sidewalk then toddled away - so darn adorable - made me spften my heart towards these annoying food stealers.

FirePhrase said...

I was feeling the same way about the grouchy old squirrel that lives in my complex, who usually shakes his little fist at me and yells that I should get off his lawn. Poor thing looked totally flipped out by the frost. Had that "What the hell is this happy crap?" look on his furry little face.

TIME: Quotes of the Day