Thursday, November 13, 2008

U-kulele, I-kulele too

So, I’m trying to learn to play the ukulele. No wise cracks. I like the ukulele. And I’d been looking for a good deal on one for awhile, when my Dad said I could use his that’s been sitting in the closet. Now that’s a good deal. Ukuleles come in three basic categories: toys ($15-$20), student models ($30-$40), and concert (400 smackers and up). And this is in that mid-range. Should I develop a passion for the instrument, I might consider laying down some serious cash, but this is a good place to start.

The problem is, it is seriously difficult to develop a passion for the instrument when you have to play the kind of songs that are in the beginners books. They are chock full of the folk classics of yester year. Little Brown Jug? Freals? In my ever-so humble opinion, Little Brown Jug is the hillbilly version of Gin and Juice. If you are musically inclined, I’m sure you just blaze through LBJ and head on to the Izrael Kamakawiwo'ole Song Book. But seeing as I’ve got, not just a tin ear, an imitation tin ear and absolutely no musical talent at all, I’m going to be stuck slogging though freaking Little Brown Jug and Michael Row the Boat Ashore (gods help me) for a very long time. Not exactly fanning the flames of my desire to learn.

I’m not expecting to learn Ants Marching or When Doves Cry (but how cool would that be?). I really want to learn Hawaiian music. I like Hawaiian music. But there isn’t one bloody hula song in any of the 4 books that I have. Oh, they’ve got Für Elise. Yep, Beethoven’s Für Elise, as I'm sure he always intended it to be played - on a $30 ukulele. AND Boil ‘Em Cabbage Down. But not even Little Grass Shack. Sigh. This is going to be hard.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Hmm maybe if you Google online you can get some hawaiian uke music or even find a chat group of ukelele players - I wouldn't be surprised.

And hey, much better than starter violin songs - "A-B-C- Had a Tree- Full of apples as can be" - and repeat ad nauseum.

FirePhrase said...

Good idea on the google search. I'm also looking for the cowboy song that Joe Banks plays in Joe Versus the Volcano (one of my favorite moments from one of my favorite movies).

I don't have an ABC song. But I do have the One Note Strum. It's a thriller, gotta tell ya.

momo said...

Shall be expecting a little musical entertainment for our next get-together?

FirePhrase said...

I could pull out the uke at the next get-together, but I can pretty much guarantee it wouldn't be entertaining.

TIME: Quotes of the Day