Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rough Weather

I believe perhaps the National Weather Service was remiss in performing their duties. I heard all about tropical storm Paloma out in the Atlantic. But they totally missed the boat on the next one. What would it be? Quimby? Quinn? Quince? Quartermain? I can see where it would have come in under the radar. Because instead of forming off the coast of Africa, it generated in the greater Dallas metropolitan area. What?! Dallas, you say? That’s right. Dallas Metroplex. Specifically, in my spare bedroom.

It started to rain around 8:30 pm. I thought, mmm, rain makes me seepy, wan go bed. So I shut off the lights and went upstairs to cuddle under the blankets and read. At the top of the stairs, I think – what the eff is that noise? Did I leave the light in the guest room on? I open the door and there’s a hurricane. In my house. There’s rain coming from the ceiling, straight through the ceiling fan, shorting it, so that the light is on, the blades are moving, and it’s whipping rain around the room like a mini Cat 3.

I know I stood there with my mouth hanging open, trying to process what I was seeing. I was half expecting to see a soggy Anderson Cooper jump out of my closet and start a live feed back to the studio. It was that bad.

It took me a while to figure out that I wasn’t able to turn the fan off at the switch because of the short and then go and figure out which breaker to throw. Then I spent about half an hour on my hands in knees, feeling around in the dark for puddles to mop up before they ruined the laminate floor. Isn’t that a lovely image?

The only real piece of luck was that it was only coming in through the ceiling fan (!) and I had an empty Rubbermaid carton that I could throw underneath the leak. Of course I had to listen to the dripping every time the rain kicked up again throughout the night. I guess you could also consider it lucky that we have a dry forecast for at least another week. So hopefully I can get the HOA to come out and fix things before I get another weather event inside my home. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Yes, isn't that dripping just a stab to the heart? You THINK you got the "roof over your head, food on the table" thing all covered and then WHAM you find out you were living in an illusion.

FirePhrase said...

And because it was waking me out of a dead sleep, I had to realize all over again what was happening. Groan. It never gets easier, does it?

TIME: Quotes of the Day