Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hark! Harold the Angel Sings!

After the Great Christmas Party Poop I've been the last couple of years, I'm actually kind of surprised to find myself already kind of getting geared up. I'm not singing Christmas carols geared up yet, but it's coming.

Maybe it was buying my nephew the coolest, hand-made wooden flatbed-truck with extra cars that ride in the back. I just can't wait to give it to him.

Maybe it was agreeing with my friends to skip gifts this year for each other, and donate to a charity like heifer.org instead. There's something about the idea of giving a flock of baby chicks or a hive of honeybees to a family that needs it that must makes me feel all holly-jolly.

Or maybe it's just that I've invited people over to drink hot buttered rum and watch the Stephen Colbert Christmas Special. Nothing like getting tanked and laughing your ass off to put you in the holiday spirit.

But something about this year is making me happy to see the holidays roll around. I heard a holiday tune and my face didn't go all grinchy-scroogy. I'm listening for the jingle of bells. I think this may be the best Christmas ever.

3 comments:

Desiree' said...

I have also been a scrooge the past few years. I have come to hate Christmas. The biggest reason for me is that they start shoving it down my throat at the beginning of October. I hate that. I want to enjoy Halloween, then Thanksgiving, then Christmas. This year, I have not heard a single holiday song in the stores, and the Christmas section has been very discreet, almost to the point that I do not even notice. I don't know if this is just a Pensacola thing, or if other areas are saving Christmas for Christmas time, but I like it. I am kind of looking forward to enjoying the season this year. Wow.

WashingtonGardener said...

I Agree Desiree - let me at least enjoy my Halloween before pulling out the tinsel. But no CVSthis year had the Xmas aisle taking over the Halloween candy in early Oct and I already heard Carols a month back on the radio - yikes!

This weekend I'm attending a Holiday Open HOuse with Santa visiting so I expect I'll need to give in at that point and put my twinkly lights up.

FirePhrase said...

My family traditionally doesn't do anything until after my sister's birthday in the first week of December. Just so that she gets her birthday.

But maybe I spoke too soon. Last night they played one of those frickin' holiday diamond commercials - ugh! Harshed my holiday mellow, big time. But dang it! I'm not letting the commercial demons win this year! I will defend my holly-jolly with my last breath this year! You will rue the day Corporate Joy Stealers! You will rue the day!

TIME: Quotes of the Day