Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Fair Warning: A Slacker Draws a Line

I don’t really know if I’m a slacker by birth. I was a little achiever as a kid. Good grades, good behavior, good girl. Then somewhere around 14 I decided, “Fuck it.”* Then I just kind of started doing my own thing, my own way, and took it as a fact that with slacking comes consequences. I will never be a titan of industry. I will never be rich. I will never rule the world. I’m cool with that. There are others more temperamentally adapted to steering the ship of destiny. I’m pretty happy back in steerage.

But part of the deal would seem to me to be that if I’m not going to rock the boat, the prime movers of our universe need to keep our little Ship of Destiny in calmer waters. Because when we move into rough waters, stock markets crash, wars drag on and the seas start to boil, then the Ship lists back and forth, and all the passengers get queasy and whoopsie over the rail. And at this point, none of is sure that we aren’t heading full steam for an iceberg.

To put it more plainly, and abandon a metaphor that I was having a little too much fun with, aren’t Republicans supposed to be the ones that are good with money? Aren’t they supposed to be the ones that “get it” when it comes to things like capitalism and free market economies? Then how come all this crap has happened on their watch? I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – I miss the good old days when Republicans were just money-grubbing bastards. They started thinking that morality was their business, instead of BUSINESS being their business, and they just took their eye off the ball. If Republicans are in office, I expect there to be a chicken in every pot, and plenty of jobs to go around. Republicans started worrying about prayer in schools, intelligent design, gay people and what all, and it all just went to hell. And, frankly, Republicans, the fact that we didn’t have two separate, count ‘em – TWO, economic bubbles while Clinton was in office isn’t exactly helping your case. And Democrats, don’t think you’re getting off scott free – you were supposed to be watching them.

What I’m saying is, for the people who are running this place, please straighten your crap out. I don’t want to have to get up off the couch and get involved. Again: slacker – ill-equipped. You don’t want me messing around in government. Politically, I’d be like the mis-begotten intellectual spawn of a very freaky night involving Bob Barr, Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich and some magic mushrooms. Oh, yeah. Scary. So, don’t say I didn’t warn you. Get this mess cleaned up. Or you see what happens when all hell really breaks loose.


* Pardon the profanity, but that’s a direct quote in the interest of verisimilitude. Slackerhood occurred around the same time as the potty mouth. I think not coincidentally.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Hmm my pottymouth preceded my slacking by at least 2 decades - I'm waiting for my menopause to kick in early though.

FirePhrase said...

Hmm. Waiting on menopause. That would make an interesting blog. I'll back stock it for the next time I need an idea.

victory4angela said...

As someone who's fistfight with cancer might have kicked her into menopause a little early - you really don't want to get there before your time. The random hot flashes suck. Although I haven't had to worry about "feminine products" for a while. Hmmm...

FirePhrase said...

Menopause is just a bucket of ambivalence. It's like you replace one set of annoyances with an entirely new set of annoyances. When does being a woman get to be easy?

TIME: Quotes of the Day