Monday, September 22, 2008

Don't Drink the Water

I sit here, sipping water, feeling incredibly stupid. Why? The tap water. It’s fine. Perfectly fine. Fine, fine, fine. Not the best water I’ve ever had. Not the water that flows from glacial run off into the chalices of the gods. It’s just water. And it’s just fine.

It makes me feel incredibly stupid, because I’ve been in this office building 5 years and been drinking bottled water. And feeling really horrible about the bottles for about 3 years. But like I had no recourse, unless I wanted to drink stinky/yucky tap water. Because the tap water at my house is indeed stinky/yucky. It comes out of the tap water looking like milk. And makes your glass look like a recently shaken snow globe. And it has a distinct pong to it. It’s so bad that I opt to skip the rinse with water after brushing my teeth and go straight to the Listerine. I rarely have to drink it straight, because the first thing I purchased when I bought my home was a filter pitcher.

But did I ever think to try the water at the office? Nope. Miss Magoo just swilled bottled water without ever actually trying the tap. And felt really, really bad about it. Plastic bottles piling up like nails in the planet's coffin. Yet. Why would downtown city water be any better than suburb city water? Why even try? Well, it is. A lot. Perfectly potable. Fine! I never even tried.

This just speaks to a personal trait that I’m most annoyed at in myself. Obliviousness. Just tripping through life with a hum-dee and a la-dee-da, and not bothering to test a hypothesis. When I think of all those water bottles . . . ugh. It makes me ill. It’s going to take a while before I’m finished flogging myself over this one.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

Don't feel too bad - at least you know NOW.

On the good news tip -- guess who has a Garden Writers conference in the Big D in Sept 2010? Yep, mark that down for a visit from yours truly :-)

FirePhrase said...

Oh, yeah, yeah! I'll have your bed made up for you!

TIME: Quotes of the Day