Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dear President Bush:

Dub, hi! How are ya? Good to see you last night. Loved the speech. Because I can’t tell you what a kick I get when people tell me crap I already know. Knew 6 months ago. Knew a year ago. Started to suspect 4 years ago. The magic fairy dust feeling of being right. Ahhh.

I know you’re all concerned about getting the bail out passed. I would be too. Watching your “legacy” circle the drain has to be a, well, “empty?” feeling. Sucks, dude. And trying to get congress people all moving in the same direction has to be like herding cats. And going straight to the voters was a good idea. You need us behind you.

Here's the thing. This whole rush. Not good. Not feeling it. Because, frankly, it feels like you’re pulling a fast one. One Texan to another, that dog won't hunt. Anytime someone doesn’t give you time to think out what’s going on, it’s not a good sign. In fact it scares the crap out of people. I know something has to be done. But yelling at me that it’s got to be quick, just do it, don’t think, feels like I’m getting worked over by a gypsy. And I’m going to walk outside and find out the new drive way I just bought is going to wash away in the first rain.

So that’s it. I feel like you guys are playing 3-card monte with my money. Give me time to think. Show me where the queen is. I’m not a finance wizard, but if you can explain this to me so that I even have a glimmer of understanding, I’ll get behind it. Because, I don’t have any confidence that there’s any way to save us from this mess. But if you make me a part of the process, and don’t make me feel like I’m getting screwed, I’m willing to help. I'm willing to try. I’m an American. Pitching in is what we do best.

Hope it all goes well. Say “Hey” to Laura and the girls for me.

XO,
Julie

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

I got back last night at Midnight from Portland - and feel like I'm SO out of the loop - missed the speech - missed even knowing there was to be a speech - was a week of constant classes, garden tours, and receptions with little sleep or chance to check email - NO news and it was bliss - now smacked back into the real world - it sucks.

FirePhrase said...

Hey, welcome back! Don't worry. I'm sure that you haven't missed all the fun. Plenty of doom and gloom to go around. I'm thinking of asking if you have a nice cabbage leaf out in your garden that I can hide under.

TIME: Quotes of the Day